Chapter 9-2

Adrian

  The two girls left Adrian by himself. He watched them walk away—watched Natalie leave. His fingers tapped along the bottle as he looked around. An anxious breath blew from his mouth then he swigged a little more of his drink.

  It wasn't long before standing in the corner bothered him. Two couples made out next to him and a "spin the bottle" game took place in the room. His drink did little to calm him down. He tugged his collar, loosening his tie—his fingers tapping the bottle still. Sweat beaded on his head, smudging his face paint. Fresh air sounds nice right about now.

  He was still warm, despite the cold air. He made his way to the catering table, which was filled with chips, dip, and little Halloween themed treats like sausages shaped as human fingers. a small plate of chips was his choice. He stood against a wall again, this time where there were less people.

  Everyone was having fun and mingling. From Jacob and the lacrosse team splashing each other with water to Emma sitting with friends in the hot tub. Everyone had a place—somewhere to belong. People just passed him by.

  He noticed Sam and Sebastian join Audrey and Natalie. However Natalie separated from the two and went over to Jacob, who was now sitting on the edge of the pool. She gave him a kiss. She picked up empty bottles by the pool and left. Natalie was constantly roaming the party, picking up after people.

  Curious, he thought. He drank the rest of his drink and threw away his trash. He went back into the crowded house, squeezing his way through the shoulders of people. All the while grabbing trash from them. In the living room, a group of kids were playing Uno. He moved around them, picking up empty bottles and plates they left around. Trash built up in his arms after a while. I should have gotten a bag. Carefully, he made his way to the kitchen.

  "Whatcha doing!?"  Natalie said to him.
He jumped in embarrassment. His collection of Trash decorating the floor.

  "Sorry! I was just-"

  "You were just being a buzzkill."

  "No! I just noticed you cleaning, and I wanted to help."

  "Jesus Adrian, I'm the host, it's what I do. You're supposed to be having fun."

  Adrian turned away. "sorry."

  Natalie furrowed her brow. She got a trash bag and helped pick up the mess.

  "Okay come with me," she said, motioning him to follow.

  They went upstairs, moving through people. Each complimenting Natalie on the party. Adrian nodded to each, not really knowing who they were.

  "Where are we going?" He asked.

  "Somewhere more comfortable," she said.

  Adrian's face flushed. His body tingled, unsure if it was the alcohol or the fact Natalie wanted to be alone with him. Guilt washed over him. No, this isn't right, he thought. Jacob and Nat are together, I shouldn't feel this way about her. Still, it didn't stop his heart skipping a beat when she led him into her room. He took off his gloves, wiping his clammy palms on his top. Natalie walked over to her vanity and turned on the lamp. She looked at herself in the mirror, then to Adrian's reflection.

  "Sit on the bed, do not look or touch anything! I'll know if you did." She walked to the door, "I'll be right back."

  Why in the world was he in Natalie's bedroom alone, this had to be a cruel twisted joke, a nightmare in the making. He twiddled his thumbs as he stared into the mirror in front of him. Choosing to only stare at himself, avoiding eye contact with anything in her room. It did feel nice to him though, being away from everyone. The music was muffled noise through the walls. The house shook slightly from the bass. His thoughts were disturbed by Natalie walking in. Audrey hung over her shoulder, walking in a swaying motion.