Chapter 8

30, Oct. 2015 Fri

Audrey's mom dropped her off at the side of the school. The sky was a blend of purple and orange as the sun set. The sound of dead leaves scraping across the ground filled Audrey's ears as she got out of the car. The wind gently lifted her hair from her back over her shoulder.

"You don't want to be dropped off in front?" Her mom asked.

"I'm fine mom, it's literally just around the corner."

"Okay dear, Looz will drop you off tonight right?"

"Yes mom, I'll see you tonight. Love you."

"Love you too dear."

Audrey walked to the front of the school, holding her arms closed, trying to keep in any warmth she could. Should've worn something thicker than this cardigan she thought—the same cardigan Natalie had gotten her on Tuesday. The only warmth she felt at the moment was the scarf hanging over her neck.

Waiting at the front was the rest of the group except for Adrian and Sam.
"Audrey! There you are!" Natalie exclaimed. "Oh, you're also not in costume?"

Audrey quickly looked down, opening her arms, showcasing her outfit to her friends. "I wanted to save my costume for the party tomorrow."

She looked over to everyone else. Aside from Looz, whose face was painted as a skull and Jacob who wore minimal face paint and a football jersey, the only two who dressed up were Natalie and Emma. Both were dressed up as cats. Natalie dressed in tight form fitting black clothing—A cat tail hung from the back of her belt. She fashioned black cat ears on the top of her head. Whiskers and a nose were painted on with black makeup. Emma wore a fluffy white coat and a white turtleneck, complemented with black skinny jeans and white converses. She also dawned painted on whiskers but with a pink nose.

"You and Emma look so cute!" Audrey said.

"We know," Emma said.

"Thank you Audrey! I can't wait to see your costume, I know you'll look great!" Natalie said. She reached into her bag, "which reminds me, here are the invitations!"

In her hands were paper invitations cut into the shape of ghosts. She handed one to Audrey. The invitation said Natalie and Emma's Halloween birthday party! Costumes mandatory!

"I made these special for you guys!" Natalie said.

"Oh they look so cute! I can't wait!" Audrey examined the card further, taking note of the address.

"You live on Fairchild Cir? Like on Walsh Street?"

"Yes, you're familiar with it?" Natalie asked.

"We'll yeah, I live right in front of Fairchild Cir. My house is at the opposite end of the cul de sac."

"Oh really! That's so cool! You have to come over more often!"

"Yeah! That'll be so fun!" Emma said, interjecting herself in the conversation with a slight hint of insecurity.

"Did you want a ride home tonight?" Natalie asked Audrey.

"Oh I don't want to be a bother! And Looz said she'd give me a ride back."

"We are literally neighbors, it's no hassle!"

"I guess you're right, it does make more sense," she said, "thank you Natalie."

Audrey walked up to Looz, who stood behind the group on her phone listening to music.

"Hey, Sam isn't here yet?"

Looz removed her earphones. "Sorry Dri, what'd you ask?"

"Sam?"