Chapter 2

Oct. 1, 2015 Thu.
Natalie

  Light peeked through a cracked curtain, hitting the pink canopy of her bed. It dispersed the light, making the red of the walls brighten. It didn't bother Natalie, whose eyes were covered in an eye mask. The sound of birds chirping to the sweet melodic tune of a harp came from her phone. Maybe a minute passed when she finally got up, moving gracefully and perfectly.

  She placed her eye mask in her gold painted vanity, looking at herself in the giant mirror. She moved slightly to her left where there was another mirror, this one a sliding door, leading into her closet. She struggled to pull out an outfit: the clothing got stuck in between more clothes. Once her outfit was picked and a quick shower later, it was time for her to post another one of her morning "outfit of the day" selfies to her instagram. As if on cue, a dinging sound repeated from her phone from likes and comments.

  Walking downstairs she could hear her mother on a call in her office, talking about sales and escrows

  Walking downstairs she could hear her mother on a call in her office, talking about sales and escrows. Her door was left open just enough to see her at her desk; organized but filled with plenty of papers. Natalie thought about saying good morning but knew better than to interrupt her mother.

  In the kitchen, a beautiful crisp red apple sat on a note on the marble counter.

Picked the best one for you Natty. Remember, an apple a day keeps me away!

  One of her dad's routine work quips. It was overused for sure, but the fact he thought of her always brought a smile to her face. The note stayed with her but left the apple in the fruit bowl, instead opting for cereal and an orange. One of her favorite things to do in the morning was deciding which of the many empty chairs to sit at; imagining if she picked just right, luck would come her way. It was the same in the living room with which couch she'd choose; the lavish white couch with gold painted trim under the chandelier or its twin near the window and some indoor plant decor.

  The chandelier was the obvious pick. Natalie stared up at it, its reflected rays of light somehow managing to reach the entertainment room across the house. Dings from her phone distracted her, reminding her of the time.

  She turned to her mother's office, her voice still rambling on the phone about offers and prices.

  This could take forever! I'm going to be late! She slowly opened the door, lightly knocking. In a whispered voice she asked, "Are we going to school anytime soon?"

  Her mom looked at the time, pinching the bridge of her nose. Careful not to let her client hear her frustration. Her conversation continued well on through the car ride.

  Natalie was always dropped off at the front and her peers always knew when to greet her because of her car. Her mom's pristine red Jaguar was definitely a stand out to the average gray, white, khaki, and black cars. As she exits the car she's immediately showered with greetings from nearby students.