Chapter 15

Nov. 30, 2015 Mon

Audrey

With the end of the semester drawing near, Songs Class was just chatting, passing the time. Song cleared his throat once he finished attendance.

"Okay! Everyone quiet down, please! Those of you who will be in the Christmas performance remain seated, everyone else may sit out in front of the class," he said. He squinted his eyes at the class. "DO NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE!" he pointed a finger at a rowdy student in the back. "That means you, Hannah!"

Audrey packed up and followed Sam and Looz to go outside. "Oh! Audrey! Come here please," Song said. He waved her over with papers in his hand.

Audrey was apprehensive about what he might ask—sure she already knew what it would be.

"Yes?" she asked meekly.

Song was writing something down on a little yellow slip, a summons. "Natalie tells me that you and her want to be in the show and I think that's a splendid idea! So you can remain in here." He smiled. "Also I just want to tell you how proud I am of you!" He handed the slip to her and smiled.

"But first, can you go for Natalie to join us please, thank you!"

***

"Don't be so nervous!" Natalie said. She shook Audrey's arm in a tugging fashion as they walked through the third floor. Her voice was hushed but still sounded loud in the vacant hall. Audrey slumped, feeling exhausted just from the idea of going on stage again.

"I'm not, why would I be when I'm not going to do it!" Audrey replied.

"Audie think about it! I mean really think about it!" she said, "it's a whole group ensemble, you won't be the center of attention for this! So why not?"

Audrey sighed and reluctantly agreed.

Natalie was right, Audrey figured. It would be easier now that all the eyes weren't on her. And once more, Natalie would be by her side again. Maybe the Christmas show wouldn't be such a bad idea she thought.

***

The day went by without a hitch. Audrey and Natalie had their first-day rehearsals. It was just finding out the placements of each student—usually sorted out by height. Lucky for Audrey, she and Nat were the same height so they stood next to each other. Natalie swears she's taller by a millimeter.

The sun sunk deeper into the sky despite it being only around 5:30. Natalie took Audrey home, which happened more frequently now. Audrey liked it except when Emma joined in to go to Natalie's house. She couldn't put her finger on what it was but something about Emma made Audrey feel small. Like she wasn't wanted there, despite Natalies best efforts to include her in every topic.

Today wasn't one of the days so it wasn't so bad.

At home, Audrey's mom was finishing setting up dinner. Thank God! She was starving. She still wasn't brave enough to eat in public.

The Family all sat down for dinner—pork chops with asparagus and rice. "How was school honey," Her mom said, looking at Audrey. "You were home late today? Hanging out with Natalie and the girls?"

Audrey finished chewing a tender piece of pork before answering. She cleared her throat. "Yeah," She said, "Natalie and I were rehearsing for this choir concert we are going to be in."

"Ooh! How exciting! When is it?" Her mom asked. Her dad was chewing his food, nodding with an impressed look on his face.

"Wow Aud, another stage performance," Gabriel said. He didn't seem too impressed, instead, he focused on cutting his pork. Audrey gave him a look and answered her mom.