Chapter 3-3

2, Oct. 2015 Fri
Audrey

  A lot of people... way too much. That was her initial thought. Murmurs of distant conversation were heard all around, almost sounding like white noise. Every once in a while being interrupted by a random yell or laugh. A laugh. What an odd thing she thought. How this jumbled hive of bodies, this loud erratic noise could be fun to be in. Her hand rubbed over her earbuds in her pocket. Their smooth texture calling out to be worn. But Looz wouldn't let her.

  "JOIN THE WRITING CLUB!" Jacob shouted. He waved the homemade banner above his head, tilted just enough to give him some shade. He didn't seem to notice it was tilted facing the sky.

  Looz jabbed his rib, which didn't seem like it would hurt him, yet he reacted anyway. "Tilt the sign more downwards dumbass, people need to see it!" She scolded him.

  "Hey! I don't see you carrying the sign," he said. As if to mock her, he turned it flat over his head, fully engulfing him in shade. "Ahh, Much better," he said.

  It wasn't that hot. Chills crawled all over Audrey. Then again, maybe it wasn't the fault of the weather for that. Despite the table being positioned in the sun, the cold was all she felt. The bright glare of the sign-up sheet caught her attention. It was something to distract her.

Audrey.... A voice called.

  That strange voice came back just as the others faded to nothing. She was surrounded by nothing. A moment of quiet from the harsh atmosphere around her.

  "Audrey! C'mon girl, I was talking to you," Looz said. Her hand shielded her eyes from the harsh sun that shined off her face.

  "Sorry, what did you say?" she replied.

  She leaned in closer and almost seemed annoyed. Guilt filled Audrey's head. She looked down and leaned closer, putting her ear closer to her mouth. Looz's voice was louder this time, not angry.

  "Adrian, Sam, and I are going to walk around and get signatures, you good to man the fort?"

  "Uhhhh," she vocalized. Unsure if she was willing to do so. The thought of people talking to her without Looz or Sam around knotted her gut. Jacob's chants for the Writing Club distracted her from the thought. Then a new thought came. A pleasant one.

  I get to be alone with Jacob for a bit.

With a slight stutter, she spoke her answer. She would man the fort with Jacob. Looz gave a small hint of a grin and a roll of her eyes. A hint of embarrassment came over Audrey, so sure she knew that Looz knew her intentions.

  "Alright then, we'll be back," Looz said.

The three of them disappeared into the crowd, seemingly absorbed into the sea of bodies. Once again, a cheering Jacob caught her attention. She winced her eyes from the bright red glare of his hoodie.

  Part of his profile was visible to her. Beads of sweat slid down his tan forehead. Despite the heat, he didn't seem to waver in his energy. She wanted to talk to him. Say anything, but words escaped her. Instead, all she could do was oggle at him from behind, admiring his form, his spirit.

  He enveloped every inch of her thoughts. The crowd vanished and it was just them two. He chanted, muted. Moving as if in slow motion. Butterflies swarmed her stomach just watching him.

  Slowly, he turned his gaze to her. A childish grin covered his face. His strong brown eyes stared at her, he seemed happy to see her. A moment she wanted to last forever.

  Then he spoke. "Hottie incoming Dri!"

  Hottie? She thought. It was a phrase so random it broke her trance. What did he mean? He turned his face in the direction of who he meant. It was Natalie. Of course, it was. She could see Jacob get slightly red, positive it wasn't from the sun, but rather that same infatuation he showed a couple of days ago.