Chapter 14-3

The inside of Audrey's house was warm and inviting. The colors had a warm vibe to them. Orange and red—Autumn colors. Just walking a few feet was where the dining room was. The Table was covered in red cloth and fancy deer candle holders. Christmas lights adorned the corners of the ceiling along with Christmas tussle. Even the music was old Christmas songs.  Everything was so festive, it was like walking into a wonderland. Natalie couldn't help but smile in awe.

  "Wow, it's so beautiful," She said. She took a moment to look around at family photos. Audrey stood by her side as if shadowing her tour of the house.

  "Yeah. My mom loves Christmas so much she decorates the inside of the house right after Halloween."

  "I love it!" Natalie said. She continued looking at photos and noticed a picture of a Toddler Audrey in a dress. "AWWW, So Cute!"  She looked at Audrey who was turning red in embarrassment.

  "Thanks, Why don't you sit on the couch with my sister and Grandma while I help my parents cook dinner."

  The older woman—Audrey's grandma—had short brown hair that started to gray. She was in Cozy wear, which didn't seem to be necessary in the heated house. She gave a soft smile to Natalie. "Oh it's so nice to see you again dear," she said. She tapped her chin and looked like she was jogging her memory back. "Looz right?"

  "No, Gramma, This is Natalie, you haven't met her," Audrey said.

  Natalie waved and greeted Grandma Perrin then looked in the kitchen, Audrey's parents were both working on the turkey. The kitchen looked small but could fit a couple of extra bodies. "Why don't I help you guys?"

  Audrey laced her fingers together in front of her—tapping her thumbs together. "Oh I don't know Nat, It's rude to have a guest over and have them do work."

  Natalie made up her mind, moving into the kitchen. "No way, I want to, It'll be fun."

  Natalie walked up to the Perrins, Who were talking amongst themselves as they prepped the turkey. Audrey followed quickly behind her but didn't say much. She looked apprehensive, still tapping her thumbs. Natalie felt it was nothing to be nervous about. She cleared her throat.

  "Sorry to interrupt, but can I help you with anything?" She asked. She looked between the two but mostly at Audrey's mom, who did most of the talking.

  "Oh no, sweetheart, why don't you and Audrey go hang out? We got this." She spoke while laying pineapple rings atop the turkey. Audrey's dad put homemade stuffing—diced Onion and celery with some seasoning—in the turkey.

"Yeah sweetheart," Audrey's Dad spoke, "There are some drinks in the fridge, go on and help yourself."

  "It's really no trouble, Me and Audie want to help."

  Audrey's mom was quiet for a moment, seemingly focused on the pineapple. Then she spoke her mind. "Well, why don't you guys just set some Potatoes to boil for mashed potatoes, and later you can mash them."

  Natalie turned around to Audrey, grinning. It was so exciting to finally be doing something, helping out at a family function. Audrey smiled back and walked over to one of the cabinet doors. She huffed as she tried to carry a sack of rustic potatoes over to Natalie. "Can you grab the big pot Nat?" she groaned.

  "Sure!" She stood still, smiling at Audrey. "Where is it?"

  Audrey dropped the sac on the floor and leaned it on the counter wall. She laughed. "My bad, I should have mentioned where they were." She walked past Natalie and over next to her parents. "Scuze' me mom," she said. She reached into the bottom pantry near the stove and dug through its contents. Loud clinks and clanks could be heard from metal pots being shifted around in there.