Chapter 3

Oct. 1, 2015 Thu.
Audrey

  "Alright but what do we do first?" Jacob asked. The group looked around at each other.

  "We'll, if I remember correctly, we need to find a teacher who will sponsor the club and then fill out a form from one of the counselors," Adrian said.

  "Okay, that's easy, we can ask Ms. Sonne since you're there all the time," Looz said. Audrey nodded her head in agreement.

  Adrian picked up his backpack. "Sounds good to me, let's get going shall we."

  Adrian led the group up the flight of stairs to the third floor. The walk to Sonnes wasn't far at all. They entered the lively class, drawing a few short-lived looks their way. A beautiful young black woman with lush curly hair sat before them.
  "Adrian! I was wondering if you were going to show up," she said.

  "Hey, Ms. Sonne. My friends and I were wondering if you could sponsor our writing club we wanted to make."

   Audrey meekly peeked out from behind him. She twiddled her thumbs. "Hey, Ms. Sonne." she waved a pathetic wave to her.

   "Adeline! how are you doing, sweetheart?" she asked. Apparently, she knew her face but not her name. Audrey politely smiled. "I'm good."

  "Anyway, sorry to break it to you Adrian, but Jessica already asked me to sponsor her acting club."

  "Dang, it's alright. Thank you!" he said. Everyone followed him out. They listed off options of potential teachers. Audrey considered all this to be pointless. Her friends conversed around her as she stared off into the distance—tapping her fingers rhythmically on her thigh. One name drop was enough to bring her focus back to the topic. One she wouldn't even consider an option.

  "We could ask Harris, his class is only two classes down," Adrian said.

  "NO!" Audrey squealed, "Uh-I mean I don't know about that." she swallowed the pit in her throat. She flustered at the eyes of her friends falling on her.

  "Why no?" Looz asked.

  "Yeah, why? Harris is cool," Adrian said.

  Audrey looked around, blowing hot air from her mouth. "I mean, I don't think he likes me very much."

  "Oh c'mon Dri! Don't be like that! You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!" Jacob said. He straddled her shoulders, trying to shake sense into her. Only fear and anxiety were shaken—added with a hint of dizziness now. But his touch did calm her down, if not fluster her a bit. Her heart melted at his touch. She looked into his eyes—they motivated her as he stared back.

  "C'mon Dri, you got this," he said with a voice so smooth. It washed her worry away like warm honey and tea. God, why does he do this to me!?
She looked away, sighing.

  "Gah! Fine! Let's give it a shot," she said.

They walked into another festive class with the smell of school hamburgers in the air. Harris, on the other hand, had a classy subway sandwich. Tuna looks like. He was reading his book. How he was able to concentrate with all the ruckus from students was beyond her.

  Jacob nudged Audrey. She turned around at him with eyes wide. The exit was so close yet her friends blocked her.

  "C'mon ask!" Jacob said. With her eyes still bug-eyed, she shook her head. Looz punched Jacob's arm.

  "She clearly doesn't want to J!"

Adrian approached his desk.

  "Sorry to bother you while you're eating Mr. Harris-"

  "Mr. Adrian!" he shouted. He wasn't mad, just another one of his theatrics. It silenced the entire room. Only for a moment. He looked up from his book and saw the rest of the group. "And company. To what do I owe this pleasure?"