Chapter 15-3

***

     "Sorry about lunch Audie," Natalie said. The two of them sat down waiting for Song to open the Auditorium for rehearsals. Other choir folk gathered around as well. Nat and Audrey just kept to themselves, only really talking with each other unless someone else came to talk with them.

  "For what? It wasn't your fault. And I'm sure Emma didn't mean to spill her milk on me on purpose." Audrey rubbed her cardigan that hung from her bag. You could smell the dry milk and it smelt horrible.

  Natalie felt bad. Mostly because she was 100% positive that Emma did it on purpose, but to admit that would only turn the two against each other. Audrey seemed hopeful. It would be easy to convince her to be Emma's friend. It was Emma who needed to come around.

  "Want to go home?" Natalie asked. "I'm sure Song wouldn't mind if went home today."

  Audrey shook her head. "No, It's fine, I'd rather be here than at home right now anyways."

  "Why?" Natalie asked.

  "I think my mom is still bitter about me not going to Colorado with them," Audrey said.

  "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

  Song finally came down the stairs from his classroom. He had papers in one hand and his black messenger bag hanging on one shoulder as he rushed down the stairs.

  "Sorry! Sorry, I was late everyone!" he said. He gave a huge wave as if to reach his apology to everyone. He pointed at one of the girls and her group of friends.

  "Naomi, if you could get everyone into positions please while I take care of last-minute stuff, thank you!"

  Naomi nodded and got everyone into the Auditorium. Just as Natalie and Audrey were gathering their stuff to head in, Emma came up to them with Micah.

  "Heeey guys!" Emma said. Micah's face scrunched up as she smelled the air around her. She pinched her nose and in a nasal voice asked, "What's that smell!?"

  Audrey shrank as she looked down and held her bag behind he back. Natalie didn't waste a second to go to her defense.

  "Someone!," she said, pausing to glare at Emma, "spilled milk on her at lunch," Natalie said it in a way where it sounded friendly but was still calling out Emma's mistake. Micah looked at Emma.

  "I said I was sowwy!" She said in a childish voice. She rushed over to hug Audrey but it was a quick embrace. After, she backed away with a look of disgust—pinchingbher nose just like Micah.

  "Yeah, Audie, you should really change clothes or something," Emma said. Natalie didn't think it was possible but it looked like Audrey sank even lower. She gripped her bag tighter and replied softly. "Sorry."

  Natalie was going to say something but Micah spoke first.

  "Anyway! I came to tell you guys that I'm having a small party at my place this Friday" she said. She wasn't covering her nose anymore but her expression, although normal and cheery, still looked as if she was enduring the smell.

  Audrey didn't say anything, just stared at the ground. Natalie wanted to say no and think of how Audrey would feel. After all, she couldn't just invite her without her wanting to go. Yet, that's what she's been doing this whole time? So why was it different now? The way Audrey looked around Emma made Natalie sad. Made her worried. Natalie had never noticed before. All the more reason to get the two to be friends and maybe Emma would warm up to her more doing something she liked to do.

  "Oooh that sounds fun," Natalie said, nudging Audrey's arm to get a reaction. Audrey still looked at the ground and nodded her head. Softly, she said, "Yeah."

  Emma looked pleased as punch, her smile stretched into a grin. "Perfect!" she said. "I'll text you guys the deets later."

  Before they left, Micah went up to Audrey. She was covering her nose with one hand again and with her other, she reached into her bag and handed Audrey a bottle of perfume that read Victoria's Secret, sheer love.

  "You need this more than I do," she said.

  Audrey didn't say anything. Her face just got redder. With a shaky voice, she turned to Natalie and asked, "Yeah, maybe can we just go home?"

  It was an awkward car ride home, to say the least. Audrey drowned herself in the perfume, but it only distorted the scent of rotting milk. Natalie's mom noticed and Audrey must've apologized three times on the way home. Natalie tried her best to start a conversation with her but she seemed drained. She just spaced out and stared out the window.

Authors Note
Yo yo! I'm barely getting enough to done to post for the next section! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I hope you can see the improvement in my writing! I'm trying my best to get better! Been reading a lot more and listening to Audio Books.

Editors
Elem
naomi14
Eric_Authority

Next chapter
Audrey confronts her mom about the Colorado trip and about attending Micahs party.