Chapter 12

9, Nov. 2015 Mon
Audrey

  A pit sat in Audrey's stomach that morning, reeling in over the previous weekend's events. Even if most of it was a blur, there was no escaping the memory of her agreeing to the talent show, like it was ingrained in her head. Sam, with her video evidence, confirmed it and wouldn't let her back out. She skipped breakfast that morning and was silent the whole ride to school.

  It was raining a lot more, unusual weather for California. She bundled in close to her cardigan, hiding her mouth in her scarf as the sprinkles of rain fell on her. She should have worn a sweater, but she loved this cardigan Natalie got her. It replaced her old green cardigan. Droplets of water covered her hair, looking like little white orbs.

  All around her, she noticed more and more couples. Most walking hand in hand and others face-locked with each other. She couldn't help but blush at the thought of her and Adrian like that. Like a couple.

  "What's got you smiling?" Looz asked. Audrey didn't even realize she was already on the third floor, their usual meet-up spot. Looz and Sam stood together, Sam having a pink rose in her hand. The three of them avoided sitting due to their spot being stamped full of brown watered footprints. The orange walls of the hall seemed to exaggerate how dark it actually was outside. Audrey blushed. There was no way she was going to confess her thoughts.

  "Nothing, I was just thinking about last weekend," she said.

  "Yeah that was fun, I hope Nat does more sleepovers," Sam said.

   "It was definitely something," Looz said.

  Audrey looked at Sam's flower, pointing at it. "Sebastian?" she asked.

  She held it close to her face, wriggling in excitement. "Yes! He asked me to the winter formal!"

  "You guys are too cute," Audrey said, "I want something like what you guys have,"

    Looz put her arm around her and held her close. "Hey, you have me, baby girl." Audrey hugged her back, giggling. "Yeah, I guess that's true!" She said.

  "Have you got someone you want to go to the dance with?" Sam asked. Adrian immediately came to mind, but she couldn't tell her. Sam would definitely force Audrey to make a move or worse, play cupid. Audrey could feel her face blushing as she suppressed a smile. She shook her head. "No, not really," she said.

  "Umm, hello? We could go together," Looz said.

  "Maybe she's waiting for a specific somebody to ask her Looz!" Sam said, she gave Audrey a cheeky smile, her usual one. Looz turned her suspicious gaze to her as she let go of their embrace.

  "I think you may be right, Sam," she said. Audrey tried to hide her nerves behind a friendly chuckle to her friends. As if an angel were watching over her, the bell rang, sending the girls to their classes. Oh thank god, she thought.

  Thanks to Sam, the only thing Audrey had on her mind was Adrian asking her to the dance. She wanted it to happen immensely. Maybe she could drop him hints, master puppet things in a way that would get him to ask her. Maybe she could ask him herself. Absolutely not. I couldn't ask him. I mean what would he think?

  Then an idea struck her, stemming from Looz's comment that morning. Maybe they could just go as friends. But the drive to be his was strong, but maybe she was fine just pretending a little while longer.

                          ***

  It was lunchtime now and it was back to it being just the three girls at the table. But then he appeared, after a week of not being around Adrian finally showed up for lunch. His eye was doing much better than the last time she saw it.