Chapter 11-3

They rode far into the night, making their way to Adrian's house. They were accompanied by silence and the sounds of the bike and Shaun's cable lock smacking against the head tube. Adrian's guilt over the debacle built up inside for the past 25-minute ride they were on. It came to a head when they made it to the sanctity of Adrian's neighborhood.

  "Okay! Time out, stop the bike. Pull over," Adrian said. Jacob squeezed the brakes gently while the grinding of his shoes did the rest of the stop. Adrian got off the bike and rested his hands on his knees. He took a deep breath in, and then out.

  "Okay, are you mad at me? Do you hate me?" Adrian asked.

  "What!? No, why?"

  "Cuz Rodney was right, I left you behind. I mean you were silent the whole ride home."

  "I mean, you weren't saying anything either."

  Adrian sighed and sat down on the curb. Jacob got off the bike and sat down next to him.

    "What's up with you?" he asked. Adrian didn't reply. He stared blankly at the ground just soaking in his sadness.

  After a moment he spoke. "I just need to get this stupid lock off."

  He got up and walked to his house, ignoring Jacobs question and leaving him there. "I'll be back."

  "What, you want me to just wait here?" Jacob asked. His voice sounded frustrated. If he wasn't mad at him before, he must be now. Adrian snuck through the side entrance, and from there he used his keys to get into the garage.

  He rummaged around in the old tool kit, making sure not to make too much noise. It wasn't there. He looked inside the desk covered in dust and cobwebs. Quietly opening it and digging through its contents. Minutes passed and he couldn't find the wire cutters. The jiggle of the door alerted him. It opened and he immediately froze in place. It was Jacob, sneaking in.

  "You're supposed to be outside!" he whispered. "Get out!"

  He stepped inside with an embarrassed look. From behind him stepped out Adrian's mom. Her calm expression changed instantaneously upon seeing Adrian's black eye. Her hands clasped her mouth in horror.

  "What happened to you two?" She asked. She hurried over to him and held his face. He looked away. It was embarrassing for him to be seen coddled like a baby in front of his friend. She got back to examine his face some more; rubbing his cheek gently. Tears were coming out of her eyes. She kissed his cheek about more times than he cared to count.

  "Mom, please stop!" he said. He pushed her away. "I'm fine, Jacob, and I just fell off my bike."

"You do not get a black eye like that from falling off your bike!" she turned to Jacob, demanding he tell her what happened. Confidence seemed to leave him behind at that moment. He looked at Adrian, a look that gave away Adrian's bluff.

  "We just got jumped by some rival school, but I kept him safe."

  Adrian gave him a look of betrayal; a look of anger that he gave to Jacob for the first time.  Adrian's mom's reaction felt so extreme, very melodramatic. This day was finally made worse, everything bad that could've happened—did. The wailing and begging from his mom continued.

  "Mom! PLEASE!" he shouted, finally snapping. Tears welled up in his eyes as he struggled to maintain face. The look she gave him; broke his heart.

"Look, mom, we'll be back. We just gotta go," he said, rushing his way out. Jacob called out to him but he continued to his bike. Jacob rushed to his side.

  "Bro, what's up?"

  "Look, just take me away from here," he said. He couldn't look Jacob in the eye. Jacob seemed hesitant for once. He got on and started to ride. And away from there, they went.