06 ) Controversial Choices

there was never another option other than the first choice you made

I fix my backpack, the bell ringing as I finally get to leave AP Government

I fix my backpack, the bell ringing as I finally get to leave AP Government. Sunghoon fixes his backpack as well, clearing his throat. I look over at the raven-haired friend, his eyes deepening into mine. "Are we able to hang out today and do some government homework together? Oooh, a study date? Wait, we don't date, nor do we have the intention of dating, so-"

"Nope," I wince, trying to not give him the idea of even hanging out. "I have to go meet someone again today. I visit her all the time, and today won't be an exception."

Sunghoon grumbles, crossing his arms as we wait for everyone to leave the classroom. "Is it her?" He questions as we greet our scarlet red-haired teacher goodbye, leaving behind the crowd. "The same girl who you think is sent from the sky, from the gods, that will help you redeem yourself over her again?"

"You make it sound like I'm desperate."

Sunghoon scoffs, tired of my attitude. "When will you realize Sunwoo left without a purpose? She didn't leave you because of you, she was-"

"I know," I whisper, my hands aching suddenly as I clench my backpack straps. "I'm aware why she left. I was there when she left me. I blame myself every day for it, but Sunghoon... I want to fall in love again."

"With someone who resembles a girl you've loved in the past?" He stops, eyes keen. The people walk past us like a rumbling river, the two of us being sturdy rocks. "Jungwon, you can't just sit on your mistakes and not accept them. There's no reason to keep hurting yourself like this!"

"I choose to hurt myself, Sunghoon. Rena... she's different. I haven't realized why, but she's brighter than the spectrum I use. She's... everything I wanted, even if that means constantly comparing her to Sunwoo," I try to explain, clutching my straps harder. "I still don't know how or why she's different to Sunwoo, even if they aren't the same. However, I'll find out myself. I promise."

"You shouldn't make promises you can't keep, Jungwon," Sunghoon hushes quietly, staring at me with hurt eyes. "You're just going to hurt yourself and Rena again, you're going to hurt her more than you've ever wanted to, and she's going to figure out she's some sick rebound because you can't accept the truth. The first mistake you made falling for her was when you mistook Rena for someone else."