30 ) First Week of January

tuesday, january 4, 2022

"I'm here-" I pause, seeing a few doctors gathered around Rena

"I'm here-" I pause, seeing a few doctors gathered around Rena. My heart drops, but when I can still see her breathing and smiling at me, I sigh with relief. Just a false alarm. They must be doing some tests on her. I set down my bag, sitting on the couch. The doctors continue what they are doing, checking the monitor for her heartbeat. It seems as if she was doing okay, and she didn't look like she was in any pain. It must've been only me who wasn't worried.

"Okay, Miss Liu. We'll be back tomorrow for more testing, okay? Don't eat anything that may hurt your pancreas, and we made sure to leave you some supplements to eat before tomorrow's check-up. Please eat them."

"Okay, thank you," She responds faintly, all the doctors greeting me briefly, then leaving. When Rena and I make eye contact, we both chuckle.

"You have a lot of fans, don't you?" I joke, getting up. Rena shakes her head slowly, struggling a bit. "Why were all the doctors here? Did you have to go into surgery again?"

"No, they wanted me to, but I denied since I'd be dying soon. Too much money to be operating on me every week," She rolls her eyes. "They've been testing me since yesterday. You had a test to study for, so you couldn't show up. It has been hectic since then since they're using me like a lab rat or something."

"Hopefully they don't poison you by accident," I shake my head, walking over. I brush back wisps of her hair, kissing the crown of her head before fixing her pillow. "They're not overwhelming you though, right? If they are, tell me. I'll go complain and ask for some solitude."

"Though I appreciate your concerns for me, it's fine. I'm doing some help for them at least," Her fingers move a bit, touching each other. "Speaking of help, it's time for the task of the week!"

I groan as a joke, but she frowns. "I'm joking."

"Great, at least you're into it!" She eyes me. I sit on the edge of her bed, sighing. "Anyway, this task is a good time to get to talk to people. I need you to go talk to my father and tell him everything. I already set an appointment up for you to visit in about four hours, so you better go take a taxi."