07 ) Irresistibly in Suffering

breaking under pressure is easier than breaking a heart

My feet are antsy. I don't know whether to run or to cry. I don't know if I should start praying for Rena or start mourning. It's been hours. I haven't seen her. I feel so deprived from seeing her that it hurts. Is she alive? Is she alright?

Doctor Liu leaves the emergency doors, ripping off her mask hurtfully. She looks at me, almost wincing. "Jungwon, why are you still here? It's so late... are you... waiting for Rena?"

"I... am."

Doctor Liu softens, smiling to herself. "I'm glad you care about her so deeply, but I reassure you, she's fine. She had light asthma after taking one too many mints, which caused the nurse taking care of her to panic. Nothing major- well, until we did more check-ups," Rubbing her temples, Doctor Liu sighs. "Her hemiplegia has been seemingly spreading farther up Rena's spinal cord, possibly trailing towards the thoracic spinal nerves. Chances are that if we're unable to save Rena before then, she may be completely paralyzed- bed-ridden."

I feel the fear erupt in me, but as I hear the light rolling off a wheelchair out of the electronic doors, we both turn her way. "Rena, I thought I told the nurses to escort you out!"

"I've been a long-term patient, they know I can get around just fine," Rena looks at me, sighing. I blink, noticing how she stares deeply into my eyes. So, turning away briefly, I wipe my teary eyes. I feel the soft tug on my sleeve, allowing me to turn back around. Rena continues to stare, pulling harder so I lean down. Carefully, the girl lifts her hands, using the back of her thumbs to wipe my tears. "I told you, Jungwon... you shouldn't get attached to someone like me."

Her words spin around my head like an ugly swirl of stars, my eyes falling as I feel my heart torn to pieces. "It's alright though, after all, experiencing another near-death experience in front of your face must be heartbreaking for a new friend. Let's go, push me. We have things to talk about." I oblige, gulping as she places her soft hands back in her lap.

Grabbing her wheelchair handles, Doctor Liu and I exchange sympathetic glances before I push Rena along, the both of us leaving in silence. I let my feet allow us to walk around, my head in space. I look down, seeing her still body. She sighs suddenly, laughing to herself. "Jungwon?"