13 ) Speaking the Truth

sometimes, trusting yourself is the only way out

"He'll be fine. He was just a little overwhelmed, that's all. If you give him proper rest and not bring up the topic until he says he's ready, I reassure you everything will be alright."

"Thanks, Doctor Liu," A male speaks out, his voice somewhat breaking. I know it's Sunghoon, especially with the soft vigor in his voice. "And sorry again... for causing such a ruckus."

"No worries, you two. One day, everyone must understand that healing doesn't come with simple comfort and simple love," Chenhan's voice resounds, her sigh emptying the room. "Sometimes, all people need is the truth. Maybe even a hug. However, for Jungwon... it's unclear what he wants yet."

Chenhan wasn't wrong. After all, I thought I felt for Rena deeply. I still do, but after reminiscing about Sunwoo, it's as if all my progress from moving on from her has disappeared. It's almost hilarious that we're back at square one. I wince from the bright light, finally deciding to wake up and listen no more. The three all gasp at my awakening, my hands bent back as I lean forward. "Um... hi, everyone... what's going on?"

"Don't you remember- ow, Rena, what the heck?" Sunghoon questions, Rena sitting next to him with a glare on her face. Rena looks over at me, her eyes swollen. She must be blaming herself for the truth. What can you do? You can't hide it forever. I'd like to think it was bound to happen- and that I'm better off pretending that I don't remember. "How are you feeling, Jungwon?"

"I'm fine, thanks," I say, causing Chenhan and me to meet eyes. She blinks at me, pursing her lips as if to send me a message that she'd like to talk to me later. I simply look away, looking back to Rena and grinning. "Why are your eyes swollen? Did you cry? I promise I'm okay."

"Do you... seriously not remember anything?" I can't tell if I should play dumb or not. Should I save it for another time? I can't lie to her, right? "Tell me, Jungwon, do you remember anything before you collapsed?"

"It'll come back to me," I smile softly, causing Sunghoon and Rena to sigh. I spare a glance towards Chenhan, warning her that I'm ready to talk. She nods, clearing her throat as she takes off her glasses. "I'm going to rest now. Thank you guys for checking on me and taking care of me. I'll visit you tomorrow, Rena, and text you, Sunghoon. Okay?"