15 ) Unable To Understand

there was always a piece of you that never left

"You know what, forget it. From now on, if you and I stay friends, I never want you to bring up Sunwoo again. I'm over Sunwoo, and I mean it this time, Sunghoon. I'm not running back to her."

I stand up, grabbing my backpack. "See you tomorrow-"

"I like her, Jungwon," He tells me.

"I like Rena."

It was understandable. Rena was like a rock to Sunghoon, protecting him and me from doing more than just a friendly talk. She was glorious, but I couldn't understand why he said all the horrible stuff only to like her later.

"Do you want to explain?" I calmly ask him, putting beside hatred for the current Sunghoon who holds all his feelings captive. He bites his lower lip in hesitation, causing me to sigh. "You're horrible, Sunghoon."

"You think I don't know that?" Sunghoon scoffs, sitting up after his slump. I don't know if the hatred is from the previous talk about Sunwoo or the envy that announces in my soul over his feelings for Rena. It just makes no sense. Why would Sunghoon decide to pry himself into our business when he's the one who didn't like it anyway? "I know I'm horrible, I know I'm stupid, but it's feelings, Jungwon. What do you want me to do? Throw out my heart?"

I sigh, knowing Sunghoon wouldn't want to get the message that easily. After all, he's somewhat hardheaded. "Sunghoon, you know that's not what I mean-"

"Would I ever be proud of liking a girl that my friend likes?" He interrupts, scoffing at me. "After all, it's the same situation with Sunwoo. You're the better man, you're the oh! so lovely! standard that people love to look at, and people just think of me as the standard's best friend. Jungwon, have you ever thought that I... ever felt incompetent to you? After all these years of saying that I have no one who interests me, that I have no heart to date when my heart falls for the people you somehow already claim... do you ever think that I kept it away from you for my benefit?"

The silence kills me, waiting for his answer. So, I sigh.

I shouldn't pity him, but I do. I pity him because he feels this way, even when it's never been my fault. I never realized that I was so sociable, and to Sunghoon, this meant he was pushed back into the gutters like a sliding bowling ball. I never realized he felt this way nor did I realize how much pain this caused him, even when we were younger.