Chapter 7

"Good luck, Kendall!"

"Good luck with your game!" I smiled and thanked them as i passed by, making sure to keep up my friendly appearance.

I ran out the door of the school, wanting to get a before game snack that i desperately needed.

"Kendall!" I turned around, hearing my name being called to see a friendly, smiling face.

"Finally i caught up to you," he said panting breathlessly.

"Haven't seen ya in a while. How've you been, Lucas?"

"Pretty decent... look i don't want to take up too much of your time as i see you have very important things to get to, but i just wanted to wish you good luck and that i'll be there cheering you on from the stands." I gave a shy chuckle, pushing some of my hair behind my ear.

"Thank you. I'll make sure to dedicate my second goal to you." He began to blush, "what makes you think you're gonna get two goals?"

"Well, Ford! You obviously haven't seen me play because i'm just that good!"

He laughed while folding his arms across his chest, "i've seen you play Conway... and i already have bets that you'll be the one to score the first goal so... don't let me down."

"Yes, sir!" I said with a salute. His smile widened and slowly began to fade, "i bet Adam's heart will literally melt when you dedicate that first goal to him. He's a lovesick puppy!"

I laugh, letting my head droop down to hide my reddened cheeks. "Well anyway, i'll see you later, Conway." He began to walk away, his hands stuffed into his pockets.

"Hey Ford!" I shout. He turns around, looking eager to hear what i was about to say. "Good luck to you too! And i expect that second goal to be dedicated to me too."

His smile reappeared, as he shook his head in laughter, "nah. You'll be my first," he replies before turning on his heels and walking back into the school, making me stand there speechless.

**********

We emptied out of the locker room, being just minutes away from game time. And as confident as i may be... i feel like my stomach has ruptured into 5 million butterflies. I was nervous.

This is my first game without Adam in a long time. And as if it couldn't be any worse, Charlie still won't speak to me. I've tried so many times to apologize to him but all he gives me is the silent treatment. How am i supposed to play to win when i don't even have the other half of the power duo and my literal other half.

I pull myself to the side, closing my eyes and fiddling with my fingers, trying to constantly keep my nerves suppressed. I feel an arm go around my shoulders, rubbing my arm reassuringly.