chapter 23

"Where were you?" Charlie interrogated as soon as Kendall walked through the door.

"Your moms," she joked, walking past him to her room. Charlie followed, rolling his eyes.

Kendall took of her shoes and jacket, putting them in her closet as Charlie stood at the foot of her doorway. "What did coach Orion want to talk to you about?"

"Your mom."

"Kendall!" Charlie yelled, becoming agitated.

"It's just gonna kill you if you don't know, huh?" She smiled at him, sitting down on her bed.

"Yes."

She rolled her eyes. "He wanted to talk to me and... Adam." Her voice trailed off before saying the boys name.

"Why?" He questioned, laying down at the edge of her bed.

Kendall played with the hem of her shirt, not making eye contact. "He said he'd seen how we used to play together and that he didn't know what happened between us but he wanted it fixed by tomorrow. He said he needs the both of us to play our best together for a greater chance to win."

Charlie sat up quickly, "don't tell me that's where you were tonight."

Kendall sported s guilty smile.

"Kendall!" Charlie reprimanded, knowing instantly that's exactly what she had done.

"Charlie! I want a win for us! You know i would do anything to better our chances of that win, even if it means pushing aside our differences for a day or two."

Charlie huffed out a sigh, "are you okay?"

Kendall nodded her head with a small smile, "I will be." She twisted the ring that encircled her small pinky finger. Charlie took notice.

"What's that?" He gestured to her pinky.

"Oh this, it's nothing." She replied quickly, taking it off and placing it on her nightstand.

Charlie quickly snatched it looking at the painted A+K on the ring. His head fell.

"It's not what you think okay? He made that for me in peewees. That's why it's so small. It's just a promise that he won't hurt as he did, ever again." She tried to explain, snatching it back from her nosey, annoying brother.

"So it's a promise ring... from your ex."

"Yes. No. Kind of?" Charlie hit his forehead with his hand. Of course he was being over dramatic.

"Kendall, i just don't want you to be hurt again."

"I'm a big girl, Charlie. It's my decision to make." She shrugged.

"Is it the right decision to make?" He questioned further.

"I don't know. I guess we'll see, won't we?"

"I guess so." Charlie looked at his sister sincerely. He really hoped she made the right decision. Maybe through her example he could slowly begin to forgive Adam too. He was his best friend. If Kendall could be on the road to forgiveness then maybe he could join her.

"Now, enough of this sappy shit. Let's watch our motivational movie for tomorrow," Kendall smiled before pulling out her copy of the Karate Kid from her side table.

"We'll fight these dicks and win."

"How are you so sure?" Charlie questioned with a laugh.

"Because. I'm Kendall Conway."

<><><><><><><><><><>

The locker room was full of nervous jitters as the team began to get ready for the long awaited game. A game which had much relying on it.