𝟹𝟷: 𝚁𝙸𝙲𝙺 𝚁𝙸𝙻𝙴𝚈, 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙲𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙰𝙸𝙽 𝙳𝙾𝚄𝙲𝙷𝙴

rick riley, the captain douche

Just like that a couple weeks had gone by and Christmas was just around the corner. As much as Kendall loved Christmas, something bigger was on her mind.

The Junior Varsity playoff games came right after the new year... and if the Ducks played their cards right with the next two upcoming games, they would be there.

The girl was beginning to stress. Not because her team wasn't good enough to make it, but because she wasn't. This mini depressive episode had wore on her, keeping her away from the main goal of it all. Hockey.

She knew scouts were gonna be at the playoff games and with the way she had been playing she knew they wouldn't even bat an eye in her direction.

She knew this after yesterdays practice. She hadn't scored a single goal in the scrimmage. She hadn't had one assist. She kept losing the puck. She was even unable to make it down the ice fast enough. She didn't have enough stamina. By the end of practice, she was breathing heavily, tired. Worse than she'd had ever felt after a practice.

Through the last past couple of months she'd been half-assing every drill, practice and game. Coach Orien even had multiple 'words' with her but at that time she didn't care.

But she wish she had cared because now she was screwed.

She entered out onto the empty ice, leaning her hockey stick up against the corner of the visitors box and sticking a basket of pucks beside it.

She took a deep breath before skating quickly from the blue line to the red line.

Back to the blue line. And then to the further blue line.

Back to the first blue line. This time to skating the furthest goal line and back.

Once she reached back to the blue line she was originally on, she felt good.

She took a couple of deep breaths and repeated the process.

Blue to red. Blue to blue. Blue to goal. Back to blue. Again. And again. And again.

She stopped, panting, her hands placed on her knees as she was hunched over. The burning in her chest, aggravating.

She slugged some water and went back out.

Blue to red. Blue to blue. Blue to goal. Back to blue.

Her heart was beating out of her chest as her body told her to stop. Although her mind kept telling her to go.

Blue to red. Blue to blue. Blue to goal. Back to blue.

Again.

Again.

And again.

She tried to focus her listening to the sound of her skates carving the ice instead of the sound of her heavy breathing. Sweat dripped furiously down her face as she continued to sprint back and forth from line to line. Her throat dry. Her stomach in knots. Her lungs begging for a breath.

Blue to red. Blue to Blue. Blue to goal. Back to blue.

Again.

And again.

She hadn't known how much she had done when she reached back to the blue line and stumbled, her legs giving out.

She reached her hands out onto the ice in front of her, sitting on her knees as she began to gag. Desperately trying to gain a breath.