chapter 15

Kendall jumped up out of her bed, getting dressed quickly. Today was the day Dean Portman would be there. She was so excited to see the boy she trusted with all her secrets and wishes. Although she had only known him for a half a year, he was one of her best friends.

This was the happiest she had been since the dreadful day she would've liked to have erased from her memory.

Although she told herself she was allowed one day to wallow, that one day turned into two which was soon to be turned into three.

Her mom was all ready and waiting once the girl exited her room.

"There is the smile i love to see." Her mom smiled, she hated to see her children upset. Charlie exited his room still glum but knew he had to get out of his cave.

"Glad to see you happy, Kens." He muttered. Kendall hugged his side, she too hated to see her family upset.

Charlie and their mom stayed in the car as Kendall rushed into the entrance of the airport. She looked around eagerly trying to find her tall best friend.

"Conway!" She heard a shout from behind her. She turned to see the tall, muscular boy with his infamous bandana on, a wide grin on his face.

"Portman!" She yelled with a smile. She sprinted over to the boy as he dropped his bags and embraced her in his arms. Being extra sappy, he spun the girl in a circle.

"So i see someone missed me," Dean joked, staring down at the girl.

"Says the guy who just spun me in a circle," she fought back.

"Shush, you would've spun me in a circle if you could've lifted me." He always seemed to have a comeback for everything. It made him Kendall's favorite bickering partner.

"See the Portman charm is already making me feel better," she smiled up at him. She was grateful to have amazing friends who would drop anything for her, she was truly lucky.

Dean's face reddened just a bit. It was so small that is was unnoticeable to the naked eye but it didn't escape Kendall Conway's eye. A pang hit her heart, maybe Connie was right. Maybe Dean Portman really did like her more than friends.

"Let's go see Casey! My favorite mom!" Dean shook his redness away and led the confused girl out of the airport.

                       <><><><><><><><><><>

The day with Dean had been just what Kendall needed. He kept her distracted and busy. He was a spontaneous guy so they spent the day perusing random activities.

Kendall laid down exhausted from the long day. As soon as her head hit the pillow, the thoughts that she had pushed out for the day came flooding back into her head.

Hans funeral was tomorrow. The image of his lifeless body under her hands had been engrained in her memory. Tears fell from her eyes as a thought repeated in her head. She couldn't save him. Now everyone has to attend a funeral. She could've saved him.

She cried herself to sleep. So much for grieving for one day.

                       <><><><><><><><><><>

Charlie and Kendall sat next to each other in the car. Their mom and Dean had already left the car to the burial sight but there they sat.

Kendall grabbed Charlie's hand, squeezing it tightly. "You ready, Char?" He silently shook his head, a tear trailing down his cheek.

"We're going to miss his-"

"I yelled at him." He spoke up, his head looking down toward his lap. Kendall stayed silent, letting him speak.