chapter 20

The Banks Home
October 31st
11:47 pm

Jack Banks laid in his bed watching a horror movie and shoving his face with popcorn. He was never one for going out on Halloween, there were always too many crazy people. The world was already scary, why need a holiday to celebrate scary?

Jack sat up questionably when he heard the front door to their home slam shut. He knew he was home alone and was honestly quite frightened.

He continued to inch towards the edge of his bed, reaching over to grab his hockey stick in the process. He gripped it tightly as he heard the footsteps coming closer and closer. His breathing became uneven as his door began to creak open.

He let out a breath of relief once he noticed it was only his little brother, "oh thank the heavens, it's just you." His relieved smile dropped once he noticed that his little brother was not okay. He had a cut on his lip and dried blood down his chin.

"What the hell happened?" Jack questioned, rising from his bed quickly to examine his brother further.

"I got in a fight." Adam spoke shortly, not meeting his eyes.

"I told you man, Halloween is weird. You should never have gone out in it," Jack shook his head going to his bathroom and grabbing a rag and some hydrogen peroxide.

"I'm the one who started it." At his brothers words, he poked his head out of the bathroom door, confusion written all over his face. Adam start a fight? Yeah right.

"You started a fight?" Jack laughed, "what did someone say the Minnesota Wilds were better than the North Stars?"

Adam gave him a serious look as he came back over and handed him the rag.

"No." Adam stated simply. "Then what?"

"I was fighting Luis because he was making out with Kendall," Adam spoke angrily, rising from the bed and throwing his rag across the room.

"Wait Luis as in her ex boyfriend and your ex teammate Luis?" Jack's eyes widened from the shock.

"Who else would i be talking about?" Adam replied sarcastically.

Jack rolled his eyes, "well what did you expect? You two aren't together anymore. She's going to be with other guys!"

Adam remained silent. He knew his brother was right, there was no good explanation for how he acted.

"I know," Adam muttered, sitting down on his brothers bed.

Adam shoved his head into his hands, "i can't seem to do anything right with her."

"Was there another reason for her to be upset?" Jack questioned, searching for further information.

Adam looked at Jack, his elbows still on his knees, "i went to the party with Camila. The girl i cheated on her with. I wanted to make her jealous."

Jack screamed internally as his face made a shocked expression, "oh hell no. Dude! I could've told you that was a bad idea. Especially with a girl like Kendall."

"What do you mean by a girl like Kendall?"

"I mean she's a girl that takes no shit. She's the kind of a girl that wants an eye for an eye." Adam's face contorted into a questioning glance so Jack explained further, "you make her feel bad, she'll want you to feel equally bad."

"So you're telling me she kissed Luis to make me jealous?"

"Duh! You make her jealous, she makes you jealous. An eye for an eye."

"But she dated Luis before, she could easily still have feelings for him."

"Adam... she dumped Luis, for you. She couldn't have been that interested in him."

"I don't know maybe she does like him, maybe she doesn't. All i know is that i was getting her back to being civil with me and i just messed all that up. I'm back to square one with her. Why am i such a damn idiot around her?" Adam couldn't help what he felt, he had always felt drawn towards Kendall Conway. How does that feeling just go away?

"You're a stupid young boy," Jack answered, sitting beside his brother. "Stupid young boys make stupid decisions."

Adam shook his head in understanding, "i just love her, Jack."

Jack put his arm around his little brothers shoulders. Jack too knew how it was to lose someone you love. He wanted to cry for his brother.

"She told me she loved me too, but she doesn't anymore," Adam paused, "i just don't understand how that feeling can just go away that quickly!"

"She's a different person, Adam. Right now it's difficult but your feelings for her will eventually fade too." Jack tried to comfort.

"No! No! You don't understand! I will always love her! I can't help it! I could never stop loving her!" Tears began to escape not only Adams eyes but Jack's also.

Jack threw both his arms around the boy, hugging him to his chest. "I know you don't believe me now, but it will happen. I promise you my baby bro. I promise."

"It hurts, Jack," Adam cried into his chest.

"I know it does."

Jack held his brother while he cried. First loves suck, especially when you lose them.

Adam calmed his breathing and his tears and backed away from Jack. Jack looked at Adam's puffy red eyes and gave him a comforting smile.

"What should i do?"

Jack thought for a moment at what advice he could possibly give in this situation, a difficult one at that. "If you love her, then let her go. When you let her go it will not only be better for her but will be better for you too. You'll get through this, Adam."

Adam nodded his head in understanding. Although those three words brought him pain just by the thought, he repeated them in his head anyway. Let her go.

Let her go.

AUTHORS NOTE: Thank you guys so much for reading! I'm sorry for the short filler chapter but i brought some more personal Adam content. And more Jack content for those who like him ;)

QUESTION: how are you liking the story recently? i'm not sure how i feel, i would love some feedback! Much love <3