Chapter 9

"I still don't trust this

"I still don't trust this. I'm not going."

Charlie rolled his eyes while buttoning up his nice dinner shirt, "do whatever you want. I could care less if you were there or not."

I bit the side of my cheek as i nodded my head slowly. Anger rose inside of me. He's been acting like a child. I've been relentlessly trying to get him to forgive me but how can i when he was more mature at the age of 10.

"I made a stupid mistake, Charlie! Oh my gosh! Can you grow up and stop acting like a little shit! I've apologized and apologized and apologized and i am sick of asking for your forgiveness! You come to me when you are ready to grow up!" Cue the slamming of my door.

I fall face first onto my bed before realizing i have to go to this stupid dinner. As much as i'd rather sit home and listen to nails on a chalkboard i have to be there for my team.

Letting out a exasperated sigh, i go to my closet and throw on the first dress i find. My nerves start kicking as i throw up my hair in to a mid-high ponytail.

My mind can't help but to race back to the custodian closet of my high school. Where Adam told me he loved me. I mean, was he expecting the same response? I just feel like we're just too young to even know what love is. It honestly scares me.

Thankfully, every time i've seen Adam since then he hasn't brought anything up.

Maybe Camila was right. Adam and I aren't meant to be. Maybe it would be smart for him to go for someone older, someone who is ready for i love you's. But now this changes our relationship. He wants something more serious. But i'm not ready, i mean i'm only fourteen!

"Kendall! It's time for you and Charlie to go," i hear my mom shout from the living room. I need to snap out of it.

I grab some heels and put on some flip-flops. I'm not about to walk a mile in heels.

By the time i reach the living room, the door is already slammed behind Charlie. This is going to be a rough night.

*******

"You know, you'll have to teach me that triple deke that you do. It's amazing." Lucas comments from beside me. He takes a sip of his water. "It's not as hard as it looks," i reply leaning in a bit.

"Oh shut up! You're being modest," he comments with a bright smile. I begin to laugh until their is a moment of silence between us.

"Dang! You're brother is going to town on that steak," Lucas says, breaking our gaze. Sure enough i turn to see Charlie scarfing down his entree. "Well a big appetite for his big ego," i shrug, continuing to eat my own.

Lucas continues laughing as someone grabs my hand. I look over to Adam who wears a shy smile. I lean over and give me a kiss on the cheek as a glass clings to get our attention.

Riley rises to his feet. I roll my eyes preparing myself for whatever bullshit is about to come out of his mouth.

"On behalf of the Eden Hall Warrior Varsity State champion hockey team. I'd like to welcome the future state champs, the eden hall freshman... here, here!"

"Here, here!" Everyone says in unison, raising their glasses. I merely raise my glass, no amusement evident anywhere in me.

"We're just glad you loaned us Banksie so we would have a chance to beat you guys in the annual varsity showdown." Riley continued.

His teammates around patted him on the back as he looked down at his plate, not one little smirk evident.

"What's wrong?" I whisper. He shakes his head dismissing my question.

"Now, nobody move. We got one last surprise. Fellas?" On that note, the varsity players stood, grabbing their things and exiting the room. Adam stayed glued on his chair, still looking at the same piece of broccoli on his plate.

"Banksie?" Riley motioned with him. I looked around at my freshman team who all clapped and smiled giddily. Then i looked back up at Adam who was grabbing his coat and leaving my side.

"Adam?" He turned around for a moment.

"Where do you think you're going?" I questioned. Riley gave him a look as Adam nodded his head in reassurance, "i'll be right back." With that, him and the other varsity players had left the room.

"Guys i don't want to spoil anything but i overheard something in the bathroom... it's cake! Act surprised!" Everyone remained giddy.

"Oh come on, Guy! Don't be so naive." My voice trails off as some servers come in with a humongous cake.

For a moment i think i am wrong and boy how i wished i was wrong. But written on the cake were the words, 'thanks for dinner, losers!'

My head faces towards the ceiling, totally furious and trying to keep my emotions under check.

The check is handed straight to Charlie. I scoot over next to him, this might end with me in a heart attack but i need to see the damage.

"857 dollars?" Charlie muttered as his voice began to trail off.

My head hits the table as my arms circle around me, as if keeping me from the outside world.

"Where are we gonna that kind of cash?" Goldberg exclaims. I raise my head shaking it irritably. How bad i just want to tell all of them 'told ya so!' but then they would all be pissed at me. Even though i was right.

And i swear i'm going to strangle Adam for not letting me know. Just a little heads up would've been nice.

********

We had spent the rest of that night cleaning dishes, scrubbing toilets, and clearing off tables. A night i would like to forget.

"Hey, i don't know if Charlie let you know but we are planning on getting our revenge... tonight," Connie whispered to me, swinging my arm through hers.

"No. Charlie doesn't tell me anything, but sounds like he wouldn't want me there anyways."

"Oh come on! You're a part of the team Kendall you have to come!" Connie begged.

"I'll be fine from scheming for just one night. I'll see you tomorrow," I said with finality.

"Bah humbug!" Connie shouted, laughing while making her way next to Guy.

The team dropped me off at the apartment, waiting to make sure i got in safely.

As i neared my apartment, I saw a figure slumped on the floor beside my door. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I approached at a steady pace.

My worry dropped when i saw Adam sitting there, looking down at a single rose.

A/N ~ Emma where the hell have you been loca?
hehe... so i've lost motivation with this story and writing in general (thank you depression). Buttt i'm trying my best to finish the stories i have published (i hate it when they're unfinished stories). so i apologize for being gone for 5 months. thank you to everyone who is still here, you don't understand how much i appreciate your votes, comments and views. and i've been reading this over again and seeing how cringe this is *dies* but you all seem to like it so cringe it is! (my style of writing has changed sm)
sorry i know this is a long authors note but i love you all!