Talk To Me

(Reference: a video I saw from Facebook 🥲😂)

The moment I got home, I immediately grabbed my phone and called the number that I got from the Principal. After a couple of rings, someone picked up the phone.

"Hi! Is this Mrs. Steinfeld?" I asked the person at the other line.

"Yes, it's me Hailee. May I know who is this?"

"Hi, Mrs. Steinfeld. My name is Y/N. I'm the homeroom teacher of your daughter and there's just something that has been bothering me for quite some time now and I wanted to talk to you about it. Can you come to our school tomorrow morning?"

"Please don't tell me she hurt a classmate or bullied a classmate."

"Oh, no no. Nothing of that sort. It's more of just about her performance at school. It's really important."

I hear a sigh of relief from Hailee.

"Oh, yeah sure. I'll be there tomorrow."

I thanked her and ended the call. I looked at the drawing once again and the conversation I had with Grace earlier this morning came back again.

*F L A S H B A C K*

I asked my students to draw their daily routine or the usual routine of their family everyday.

I smiled at the sight of my students having fun drawing them and their family having breakfast together, some of them drew their families at the park, with their dogs and many more but one particular drawing really caught my attention.

One of my students, Grace Steinfeld drew her mom on ground, crouching or sitting or whatever the posture is, a man who appeared to be Grace's dad is holding something in his hands while looking down at her mom while it's above his head. And Grace hiding under their dining table. Another drawing of Grace from the other day is almost as similar, but it looked like it came from Grace's point of view, it seemed like she was peeking through her bedroom door, and everytime her classmates are fighting, if she sees one of them holding something similar or close to the thing her dad is holding on this photo, she would cry for help or just basically scream in horror.

It has been bothering me for a while now so I decided to ask Grace.

"Grace, can you come here for a second, sweetie?" I smiled at Grace as she went on her way towards me.

"Can you tell me what's going on on these drawings?"

"That's what daddy always do to mommy. Almost all the time. But mommy kept saying that she and dad are just playing a game and the loser will get a punishment." I was taken aback when she giggled. At first it scared me but then I felt pity for this little girl. I only smiled sadly at her when her service arrived to pick her up.

*End of flashback*

I couldn't help but get worried as time passed by. My mom went into my room and she almost gave me a heart attack when she suddenly put her hand on my shoulder.

"AHH- Oh shit, you scared me mom." I sighed as I had my hand on where my heart is.

"Sorry, sweetie. I was knocking on your door but you weren't answering so I thought you were asleep. I came to check on you but you seemed so deep in thoughts. I didn't mean to scare you." I felt relaxed when she put her hand on my head and gently run it through my hair.

"Thanks, mom." I smiled gently.

"What are you so deep in thoughts by the way?" She saw Grace's drawings and took them from my desk.