29- New Room

"You're telling me you never learned how to write?" I ask Carmen. She smiles and nods. "I think I only went to pre-k, I only know how to spell my name. C-A-R-M-E-N. Carmen." I giggle a little at her simplicity, but immediately feel bad. This poor girl had so much taken away from her, at such a young age. "Maybe Soul can adopt you and enroll you in school. I don't mind teaching you how to write. I used to love writing at your age, but it was hard for me with my quirk." Her face forms a small frown. "Maybe Soul will let me watch you use your quirk in action, and I'll be able to learn from you like that, too. I'd love to watch you use it, it sounds fun!" She smiles wide and laughs, and I feel my heart light up. Any happiness and smiles I can put on her face is better than none. I can't help but want her to feel happy. Soul enters, and Carmen turns towards her immediately. "Come here, Carmen." She says and squats down, Carmen walking towards her. She whispers and Carmen gasps, running out of the room immediately.

"Amari, I'm glad to tell you that I'm finally able to get you out of this cage." She smiles widely and I smile back. "I was beginning to wonder when I'd get outta here, Soul." I laugh. She stifles a laugh and opens the door, allowing me to come out and hug her. These past few days have been better for us, I think. She's shown me pictures and casettes with my mom and her together, and of course with me as a younger child. It still feels odd, but she seems so happy when watching them and flipping through the pictures. Her warmth comforts me, and makes me feel safe when I otherwise feel nervous and unsure. "Now, the room you will be staying in will still be locked, and you will still not have access to internet or pen and paper, but it's much better than this little cell. I hope you forgive me for keeping you in here for almost two weeks, my love." Her eyes brim with tears and I reach out to touch her arm. "I understand, Soul." She smiles and urges me to follow her out the door.

When Soul opens the door, Carmen is at the end of the hall waiting. She smiles excitedly and motions me to come closer. A couple of the guards stand along the edge of the wall, and Soul nods to them, they nod back. The floor is lined with a fluffy carpet, and the walls are dark and elegant, with artwork scattered on them. I walk to the room, and Carmen opens the door. "Here's your room, Amari!" She laughs. I walk in and begin to take it all in. "It's beautiful in here!" I exclaim. This room is definitely an upgrade from that tiny cell, even though it began getting more comfortable over time. "I spared no expense for you, my love. I've even got you new clothes, have a look around the room a while, Carmen will be back with your dinner!" She smiles and blows a kiss before shutting the door and locking it.

I immediately sit and spread out on the comfortable bed. I can't remember the last time I slept comfortably. I let my body sink into the mattress, feeling effortlessly soft. The bed is lined with satin sheets and pillowcases, and the pillows are more fluffy than I've ever felt. There's a warm sherpa blanket on the foot of my bed, and I run my hands over it, feeling how soft and plush it is. I look in the closet and see a few of the same dresses, an ethereal looking white dress with billowing sleeves and a short puffy skirt. I put one on right away and twirl around, seeing the fabric twirl and fold around me as I spin, being sad to take off my dress from the dance. For a moment, I stare at the dress on the floor, trying to remember exactly what happened that night. I look in the dresser drawers and find tights and socks. I find a pair that I like, high rise white socks, and put them on. In the back of the closet, I notice a garment bag. I pull it out and read the label.

"Hero Costume"

I pull it out, and the body of the costume looks quite similar to the dress I have on now. There are some differences however. The dress also comes equipped with bottoms that are mostly sheer, with boots in the corner. The boots stretch perfectly up past my knees, with pads to protect them. It comes with a pair of white fingerless gloves that reach up my arms, and a feathered headpiece that would rest around my head. A large white cape accompanies the dress, and a utility sash includes a notepad and pen. It's honestly such a beautiful outfit, this was made for me? I put it back in the garment bag and close the closet.

I collapse onto the bed again, feeling fulfilled and amazed. My eyes wander back to my dress sitting on the floor. I feel the memory just at the edge of my recollection, and it annoys me that I can't figure it out. For a minute, I remember that I'm technically kidnapped. But I can't help but feel like I'm at home. Whether I'm kidnapped or not, Soul is still my mom. I feel so loved, and I can't blame her for still being apprehensive, so much bad stuff has happened to her. And if I want to have any hope in keeping not only my friends safe but the whole world safe, I have to help her. But for her to spoil me like this?

I could get used to it.