38- Recovery

All I can hear is beeping noises. I remember being in agonizing pain, I remember seeing his blonde hair hovering over me, his face twisted in a pained frown. The coolness of his tears, falling ever so slowly onto my face from his chin. The wind singeing the crater in my stomach. Now, all there is, is beeping. I can't see anything, and I can't tell if my eyes are closed. But I don't feel any pain. Am I better? Am I dying? Am I already dead? Slowly, my vision fades in, and I realize the beeping is from a monitor to my left. Sitting in the corner, at the chairs, are Mina, Kirishima, and Bakugou. Mina worriedly scrolls on her phone and takes quick glances at Kirishima every so often. Kirishima's hands are in his lap, where his gaze rests, staring pensively. Bakugou's leg is shaking slightly, a pained look on his face, and his eyes well with a thin line of tears.

I get a rush of pain to my head and I wince and grab my head. Everyone's head turns to me in an instant. "Oh, thank god." Mina lets out, tears spilling from her eyes. A huge grin plasters on Kirishima's face, and he taps Bakugou's leg. He whips his head towards me and looks over at me, and the tears that were building up begin to fall as he lets out a faint, "Amari?" He rushes over to me, and Mina runs out to get a nurse. "What happened?" I ask slowly, still grasping my head. "We could be asking you the same thing, Amari. You were gone for so long, what happened to you?" Kirishima says, approaching on the same side as Bakugou. Mina rushes back in the room, and with pride, says, "The nurse is on the way." She walks up to the other side of me. "What happened to Soul? Or Carmen?" I ask them. They look at each other, unsure on how to respond.

"Well-" Mina starts before the nurse enters the room. "Amari Natsuko?" She says, approaching with a clipboard. "Yes, hi." I say awkwardly. "How have you been feeling since you woke?" She asks. "I feel fine, but I have a bit of a headache. I don't have any pain elsewhere." She smiles and takes a seat. "That is all thanks to the Recovery Doctor. If your friend here didn't get you to her so early, these wounds would certainly have been fatal." My hand travels to my midsection and I drag my fingers across my skin, feeling the large circular scar indented into my stomach. "You're not too long from recovery, now that you've woken. Once you are mostly free of pain and can prove to function independently, you'll be out of here in no time. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll be getting many visitors, so just be sure to rest well after you've seen so many people. One of the assistants will be in to monitor you in a few moments, but that's likely all you'll be seeing out of me today." She smiles and leaves the room quietly.

"So, what happened to me? And everyone else?" I ask again. "Due to your pain and injury transfer, when Bakugou went to attack the villain, it ended up injuring you instead. It was an attack that would have killed someone, but he brought you straight to Recovery Girl and she managed to fix the damage to your stomach." Mina looks off and Bakugou's gaze tilts down. "The woman you called Soul has now been killed for her several crimes. She was wanted in many other countries as well, for some really bad stuff. And the girl, Carmen, was thankfully adopted by a really nice couple we know who will always keep her safe and loved." Kirishima continues. "As for the League, they're still at large. It seems they knew we were going to attack, and deserted me and the other villain as to not get caught. They're a problem that we were trying to deal with, and unfortunately, you got caught up in it."

An assistant knocks on the door before entering. "Hi, Amari? I'm going to need the room to clear so I can take vitals." Kirishima stands up and begins to pack his things. "Hey, we're actually going to head out to update everyone, plus I'm sure there's going to be tons of visitors, and we don't want to clog the room. Feel better, Amari, we'll see you again soon." He smiles widely and I can't help but let out a laugh, before waving him and Mina out. Bakugou leaves too without saying a word. The assistant takes my vitals and tells me I look stable before gingerly walking out. Bakugou reenters, and I laugh lightly. "Hey, I thought you were leaving." I joke with him. He laughs. "Nah, I'm kind of stuck with you." His smile starts to fade and he looks back down into my eyes.

"It's inevitable that the League is going to attack again, and we have to be ready for that. You're also going to have to find a new place to live, which may mean you'll be moving pretty soon." He starts. I nod and wonder where he's going with this. "I'd really rather you stay close, just because of the League, because I won't let you go again. You won't ever have to go through something like that again. But, I have to be close enough to you to be able to protect you." I smile. "So?" "So, Mina was thinking you should live with us." He says softly. "Huh?" I joke. "Mina was-" "I heard you, dumbass." He widens his eyes before rolling them, a slight grin on his face. "I'll live with you guys. There's nowhere else I'd rather stay, and I don't have any family in the area." He smiles widely and laughs a little. "Well, that's good. One down, one more to go." He says, under his breath. "Sorry, what's the other one? You got another proposal to make?" I laugh and his face gets red. "Yeah, actually. It's one long in the making." He pulls out a box, and hands it to me. I trace my finger along the black velvet of the box, and open it. There's a ring inside the box, with a peach and baby pink alternating gem pattern. At the top, was a written note.

"Amari, will you be my girlfriend?"