40- Cool Off

I look over, as Midoriya makes his way to the seat beside us, pushing his green waves out of his eyes as he approaches. "Hey, Kacchan, Amari. How are you guys?" He smiles genuinely. Bakugou's hand begins to heat, and I whip my hand away from his before it sparks. I turn to look at Bakugou, who stares through Midoriya with animosity in his eyes. Midoriya looks remorseful, yet sincere. I quickly try to calm the tension by responding. "Hey, we're doing a lot better, right, Bakugou?" He breaks eye contact with Midoriya and looks over at me. I smile unconvincingly, and before he can respond to Midoriya or me, Hawks interjects. "Now that you've all been seated, we can begin." With both of the guys' eyes directed towards Hawks at the front of the room, the tension melts away a bit, and for now, the problem has fizzled off.

As the class goes on, the tension begins growing again, with the two guys sharing several glares and side eyes, me in the middle. Out of all the third partners we could have gotten, it had to be Midoriya. I'm not even entirely sure how to feel about him now. After their squabble that fateful day of the dance, after his part in the takedown of Soul. He was intensely crying over me that day, just as Bakugou had been. His screams for Bakugou to wait before he unleashed the explosion. He had surely seen horrors, just as we had. So why all the hostility? From both parties? I realized just how little I know about this intriguing group of people, despite the time I've spent with them. How can they coexist sometimes, yet other times completely clique up? It doesn't make sense. How does this complex group of people either encourage or stand idly while someone acts that way? How are Bakugou and Midoriya even at this level of superiority in the first place?

Class ends and after Midoriya makes his way to the front of the room, near Hawks, Bakugou stands quickly. "Let's get outta here, Amari." He says, taking my hand as I get up. Without so much as a look back, he leads me through the door and into the hall, where the rest of the group already waits. Kirishima and Mina silently walk directly behind us, and I catch a glimpse of worry on their face as Bakugou basically flies through the hallways, pulling me along. "Hey, Katsu, slow down!" Denki says, somewhere behind us. Bakugou presses on, a scowl on his face and fire behind his eyes, which are intently locked forward, only focused on making it out of the building. He doesn't slow until we all make it out to the car, when he begins to pace and run his hands through his hair, finally letting my hand go. His eyes stare intensely through the ground, and small sparks fire through his hands, moving up through his hair as it catches the fibers, fizzling out at the spike at the top.

"That FUCKING Hawks is the dumbest fuck EVER to partner us with DEKU of all fucking people!" He explodes, his hands sparking with more obvious explosions as he tears them away from his head, ashy blonde strands falling as he does. "Kats, you gotta relax, man. It's just Midoriya. He's not gonna do anything to you." Sero begins, unlocking the car so we can enter. "That much is obvious, Sero, but I was beginning to tolerate him when he went and fucked everything up, so forgive me for not being all cupcakes and rainbows with someone who almost got me and my girlfriend put off the fucking Earth!" Bakugou continues, opening the door roughly and sliding into the car. He slams the door behind him, and I reach for the handle, before Mina stops me.

"This is his way of cooling off. You don't wanna probe too much, Mari." She explains. I let the handle go, and let out a large sigh. "I can understand where he's coming from. You guys were the ones to save him, you must have seen the condition he was in, right? Was it bad? Awful?" I ask them. Their eyes fall to their feet, except for Kirishima, who just frowns before responding. "Mirio found him first and alerted us to move in. I ran as fast as my legs could take me. I ended up getting to him before even Hawks or Mirko. It was... really bad, Amari." His sorrowful red eyes brim with tears as he averts his gaze. "He was so weak. It's the thinnest I've ever seen him. His eyes were vacant... his voice hoarse and hushed. They were torturing him. His mind was broken. He couldn't hear himself think. I understand completely why he'd be so upset with Midoriya. It's not like he did it, but his actions caused the whole mess. Hell, it caused us to get locked up by the league for a bit ourselves."

"So what's Midoriya's issue with Bakugou then? How come he's acting normal and then also doing all this too?" I ask in frustration. I'm just trying to understand why this keeps happening. I mean, Bakugou is my boyfriend. I don't want to keep seeing him this way. "I don't know, none of us do. It doesn't make sense why he's being this way to Bakugou. This is severely out of character for him, not that I'm defending him." Mina adds. "Kats always used to bully him, at least that's what we've heard. Maybe its payback? Maybe he's just an ass now?" Denki questions, leaning against the door. "Well, with us all being in the same class, and especially with Midoriya and Bakugou being put together in class, we're gonna have to do something." I defend. Mina's face lights up, and the boys instantly roll their eyes, groaning. "What?" I ask defensively. "It's me. They know what I'm thinking." Mina says, tapping away at her phone.

"What's that?" I say, clueless. It's a miracle to me that they can know what she's planning with a single devilish smile. "We'll throw a party! Tonight!"