.4. the proposition

I knock on the door just likeI did yesterday. I admire the house while I wait for someone to answer. This house is seriously nice.

Unlike yesterday, Dream is not the one to answer the door. It was Sapnap.

"Hey, come on in," he says as he opens it.

I follow him into the house, "Long time no see,"

"I know right," he jokingly shakes his head, "like a whole twenty four hours." He walks into the kitchen.

"Maybe even less," I lean into the kitchen.

"Do you want a drink or anything? We actually have food today." he asks as he opens the fridge.

I shake my head, "I'm good, we're going to dinner soo.."

"Alright," he closes the fridge with a water in hand. "He should be out soon.. He was getting ready to go like ten minutes ago."

"Sounds good," I nod, "Are you coming to dinner with us?"

"Not today," He frowns a little, "I have this video I need to edit, so Dream thought it'd be good to stay home for that."

I nod, a little sad that he won't be coming with us tonight. I really enjoyed his company.

Clay walks out to the kitchen. "You ready?" he asks.

"I'm just waiting for you," I laugh. He really came out of the room late and asked if I was ready.

"Alright let's go."

We get into his car. We don't talk too much about our lives during the car ride. We save that for our catch up dinner. Instead, we listen to music, only talking to suggest songs we thought the other would like.

"How was dinner last night?" Clay asks as we look over the menus. We used to come here a lot as kids, so I already know what I want.

"It was really good," I nod, closing my menu, "Sapnap is really cool."

He smiles. "I'm glad my two best friends are getting along."

The waitress comes to take our orders.

We catch up on our lives a little bit. We're almost done with our dinner.

"So," Clay says as he finishes chewing his pasta, "have you begun your job search?"

"A little bit," I nod, taking a sip of water, "I don't really like any of my options. There was one receptionist job I might apply for, but other than that I really don't know."

He nods. "Is it full time?"

I try to think of ways to maneuver my way around the question, but it's a simple yes or no. I have to tell the truth.

"Full time," I say nonchalantly, hoping he doesn't catch on to what I've been hiding from him.

"How are you going to do that with school?" he furrows his brow.

A knot forms in my stomach. Of course that's the question he would ask. No matter how casual I answer, he's always going to know my lies. "I can figure it out." I shrug.

He's quiet for a moment as he sets his fork down and looks up to me. He reminds me of a father before giving his kids some sort of life lesson.

"Y/N, be honest with me," he says in a serious tone.

I look up at him for a moment, then set my fork down as well. This seems like it's going to be an important question. I wait for him to ask it before talking.

"Why did you move back to Florida?" he asks.

I swallow once. I knew I was going to have to answer this question eventually. "I'm not sure, I just wanted to come back, and.. and see everyone." My voice is a little shaky.