.26. the phone call

I get up the next morning feeling refreshed. Last night I cleaned my entire apartment. It was gross, I'm going to be honest, but it was worth it.

I feel clean. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I feel lighter. I feel ready to take on the world.

I walk into the diner for my shift.

"Hey, sweetheart," Danny says, "You seem happy."

"That's because I am," I smile as I turn to him, "still not going to happen, though."

"Worth a shot," he shrugs, "Why are you so happy?"

"I deep-cleaned my apartment," I buzz into work.

"Wow, how exciting," he says sarcastically.

I ignore his sarcasm, "It really is. I feel good."

"Well, if being a germ-o-phobe makes you happy, then you go for it," he says as he flips a patty.

"Thank you, Danny."

"Anytime, sweetheart."

Today is just as busy as any other day. I get through my tables one by one. Or multiple at a time actually, but that's besides the point.

I grab a plate from Danny. I hand it to the last customers of the day. It's a group of drunks. I hope they finish up soon.

I help clean the kitchen as we start to close. Once the people leave, then we can finally start to close out there too.

Danny and I wipe down all the counters and surfaces. Once we're finished we wait at the diner's counter for the customers to leave.

"Hey," he says randomly.

"Hey," I repeat back.

"What are your plans tonight?" he asks, leaning on the counter.

I have absolutely nothing planned, but I'm not sure I want to hang out with him outside of work.

"Not sure yet," I shrug, "why?"

"Well, I'm doing a movie night with some people at my place after this," he says, "if you want to come."

I almost say that I have a boyfriend, but then I remember Nick broke up with me.

It's been twenty-nine days. I should remember these things.

I think about it for a moment. Do I want to hang out with him? I don't necessarily want to be alone. I haven't hung out with people for a very long time. It'd be nice for some company.

But also Danny is practically a stranger. I only see him at work.

He must be able to read my mind because he reassures me, "It's not a date. There will be no drugs and no drinking. It's a perfectly safe affair."

I give him a little smile.

I do need to move on.

"Sure, I'll come."

He gives me a big smile, "Perfect."

.after work.

"Okay, everyone should already be here," Danny says with a wide smile. His bright blue eyes are filled with excitement.

He leads me into a room with about five people in it.

"Danny!" multiple people call out.

"Hey guys," he says, setting his keys down, "what's up?"

"Nothing much," a man says as he gives Danny a fist bump, "who's this?" he turns to me.

"This is y/n," Danny moves to show me to the room, "We go to work together."

"Nice to meet you, y/n," the man says, "I'm Johnny."

"Johnny and Danny?" I ask.

"The greatest duo you'll ever meet," a woman says as she walks up to us, "I'm Jen."

She has red spikey hair and tattoos down her arm. She looks badass.

"Hi," I say.

We all settle into the watching the movie. I feel like they just welcomed me in with no hesitation. I can tell they want me to feel a part of the group, and I appreciate it. It's been a while since I've felt like a part of something.

My phone buzzes next to me. I glance at it, expecting to press decline.

My heart stops as I see the name across the screen: Drista.

Why is she calling? She would only call me if it's an emergency right?

My heart beats fast as I realize my time to answer is diminishing.

"Sorry, I have to take this." I whisper to Danny.

I walk into a little hallway in his house, away enough that nobody could hear me.

I answer the phone, "Drista? Drista, is everything okay?"

"What?" she says, "It's fine, why?"

My whole body lets out a relieved breath that I didn't realize I was holding. "Nothing, what's up?"

"Well, I'm getting an award for school, and I really want you to come." she says.

I hesitate to answer. I hear the group laughing in the background.

That means I would run into Clay and possibly Nick, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I don't know what I'll do if I see them. I might scream, cry, laugh, maybe even bitch slap one of them.

"They won't be there. They're still in London until next week." she says. I can hear hope in her voice.

I mean, there shouldn't be any problems if they're not there. I have to go. For Drista.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Yes!" she says, "Okay I'll see you there, bye!" she says before hanging up.

I feel a little pang. She sounded like Clay right there.

I fix my hair before going back into the living room. I sit down next to Danny.

"Everything alright?" he asks.

I nod, "It was a spam call. I thought it would be my doctor with some blood test results."

"At eleven-o-clock at night?" he asks, chuckling.

"Oh uhh," I can't come up with an excuse.

"Don't worry," he turns his head back to the TV, "I won't ask if you don't want me to know."

I give him a little smile and turn back to the TV.

Danny walks me out when the movies over.

"Thanks for coming," he says as we come up to my car.

"Thanks for having me," I say, "I had fun."

"I'm glad." He scratched the back of his neck. "Don't take this the wrong way, but, uh, you seemed like you could use a good time."

I smile. He's seen right through me. "It's been a while, I'm not going to lie."

"Well, I don't know why it's been awhile, or if it has to do with that phone call, but I had a lot of fun." He shrugs, "You're welcome back anytime."

I open the door to my car. "I might just take you up on that one, Danny."

"You really should," he shuts my door, "goodnight, y/n."

"Night," I say before starting my car.

For the first time in twenty-nine days. I had fun.

.author's note.

don't worry danny isn't a love interest guys. this IS  a sapnap story haha

daily posts!

have a great day :))

.word count.. 1044