.30. what if?

Danny and I close up the diner late at night. He's impatient as we do it because he has a date tonight.

"Come on, I want to go on my date," he rushes me as I wipe all the tables.

"Have you cleaned the counters, yet?" i point out to show I'm not the only one holding us up.

"No," he pouts, "I'm just excited. You know, I have a good feeling about John." he says as he walks into the kitchen.

"You said that about that girl named Sandy like two weeks ago," I shake my head, "And I'm pretty sure there was someone before that too."

"Shut up," he says, "I feel the chemistry over text, and if that transfers irl, then we're golden. I will have my husband."

I laugh. "Okay, Danny, whatever you say."

We finish up. We start to walk out the door when I remember I left my jacket inside.

"You go on ahead of me. I have to grab my jacket," I say.

"You sure? It's kind of late at night. I don't want you to be alone," he looks concerned.

"Postive. I parked right there anyways." I point to my car parked right by the entrance. "Go have fun with John."

He smiles. "Okay, text me when you get to your car, and then when you get home too."

"Will do, goodnight." I call back as I walk back inside, "Have fun tonight, but not too much fun."

"I will have just the right amount, thank you very much." He says sarcastically, "Night, y/n."

I grab my jacket from the back. I see him pull out of the parking lot as I lock the door.

I turn around to see someone sitting on the curb by my car.

My heart drops a little bit. I recognize that shadow anywhere. I remember all the time from a different curb many months ago.

What is he doing here?

A surge of anger swells inside of me. The last time I saw him was in the diner, but I can't get the night on the curb out of my head.

He left me. He left me after I lost my best friend. He left me for a problem we could've solved together. It didn't have to be that way, but he chose it to be.

And just for that I'm not very happy with him.

He sees me standing there and stands up. He cautiously walks over to me slowly.

"What are you doing here, Nick?" I ask. My voice sounds tired.

"I'm not really sure, honestly," he stops walking, "I just got in my car and hoped you would be here."

I scoff, "And if I wasn't?"

He shrugs. "I guess it wouldn't have been meant to be."

I shake my head. "That's ridiculous," I mutter.

"Just give me a chance, y/n," he says, taking a couple steps forward. The street lights are the only things illuminating our faces. His looks genuine.

I stare at him for a minute, really considering what to do. I could let him in, but it might not be the best decision for me.

I've worked so hard to try and get my life back to normal. I really don't want to destroy that progress that I've made.

He takes my silence as an opportunity to explain himself. "Breaking up with you is one of the biggest regrets in my entire life, y/n. Please, just give me a second chance. We can start over, just like you suggested, and try again."