.12. sandwitch

Nick and I planned our date as a lunch date, since that would be around the time Clay would be with Drista.

My leg bounces as I do my hair and makeup. I don't know why I'm so nervous. It's just Nick. He's seen me in my best and worst states before, so I should feel at peace with him like I usually am. Instead, I'm internally freaking out with excitement.

I go to my kitchen to get a drink of water after I do my hair and make up. I haven't gotten into the dress I wanted to wear yet, but I will in a little bit. Nick is coming to pick me up at 2:00. It's currently 1:25, so I have some time to chill before I need to change.

I admire my roses on the kitchen counter. I love having a little reminder of Nick every time I go into the kitchen. It makes me almost like cooking food.

Actually, no I still suck at it.

There's a knock on my door. I secretly hope it's not Nick since I'm not ready at all.

I look through the peephole to see Clay. What is he doing here?

"Clay?" I say as I open the door.

"Hey, I need help," he walks through the door without bothering to give me a second glance, "I have no idea what to get my mom for her birthday." He turns around right as he gets to my counter. He looks at me with a slightly confused face, "Are you getting ready for something?"

"Sort of, why?" I ask, already trying to come up with a good excuse.

"Your hair and face looks fancy," he shrugs, "it looks good."

"Thanks, I guess," I hope this conversation doesn't take long. I check the clock, Nick gets here in thirty minutes. "So you have no ideas?"

"I mean I had one, but I don't think it'll work." he says, plopping onto my couch, "Will you go shopping with us?"

I roll my eyes as I lean on the couch. "No, I have plans, sorry."

"What plans?" he looks up at me, "How could they possibly be more important than me?"

"Trust me, they are." I roll my eyes. Hopefully if I'm vague and focus on his struggles, then he'll forget to bug me about plans. "What was your one idea?"

He sits up on the couch. "I was thinking I could buy her a necklace or something. I saw this one where they give their mom a necklace with different stones, and each stone represents one of her kid's birthstones."

"That's a great idea, why don't you just stick with that?" I ask.

"Well, she already has a couple necklaces, so why would she need one more?"

"Does she have necklaces with her kid's birthstones on it?" I ask him. I'm pretty sure his mom would love his original idea. He just needs to be more sure of it.

"Obviously not, why would I suggest it if she did?" he asks me sarcastically. I think he might be a little hangry. I wonder if he's planning on getting lunch with Drista or something.

"Then she doesn't have that particular necklace. I think she'll love your idea, especially since it came from you." I say, "You can never go wrong with jewelry."

He gives me a half smile. "You're probably right."

I smile, "Always am."

"Whatever," he stands up from the couch, "I should probably go. Are you sure you don't want to come?"

"Yeah, I have to go somewhere anyways" I shrug, hoping he won't ask about it. I pay closer attention as he walks past my flowers from Nick.

"I hope this idea works. I might get her something else that I see while shopping," he shrugs.

"It'll work, I promise." I led him to the door, checking the clock for the time.

"Great. Thanks for helping me," he turns arounds, something behind me catches his eye, "Who got you the flowers?" He gestures towards the roses behind me.

"Oh, those?" I try to wave it off, "I bought them for myself."

He chuckles, "You bought yourself roses?"

"Yes! Do you have a problem with that?" I'm surprised at my lying skills right now. Usually my voice gets really high pitched, but I'm trying really hard to keep it even right now.

"No, no problem at all," he shakes his head, "if you wanted flowers, then you should've said something."

I make a face, "I don't want your flowers. The ones I have are plenty fine, Clay."

He rolls his eyes, "Just saying."

"Well, why don't you just not say anything, then?" I suggest, smiling at my come back.

"Whatever, I'm going to head out now. Bye." He says jokingly before he walks out the door.

"Bye," I call out behind him. I shut the door after he leaves and close the door. This whole secret dating thing might be harder than I thought.

Nick comes a little bit later when I am fully ready for our date.

"Hey," I say as I open the door.

"Hi," he says, "you ready to go?"

I nod. He takes me to a little restaurant down the road. For once I am glad to be born in a slightly smaller city, so I can already know what I want to order when I get there. I won't have to worry about taking forever as I pick my food.

I ordered one of their specialty sandwiches. We talk as we wait for our food to arrive.

"What do you call a witch that rules over the beach?" I ask after our food is set in front of us.

"What?" he says, smiling as he waits to hear the punchline. He's had that same smile on ever since we got here. It makes me feel special to be the one that gets to be the reason he wears it.

"A sandwitch," I finish my joke.

He rolls his eyes. "That was such a dad joke."

"It was not a dad joke. It was a good joke," I say defensively.

"It was definitely a dad joke," he shakes his head, taking a sip of his water.

"I disagree, Nick. It was a quality joke." I nod once affirmatively.

He shakes his head at me some more, but doesn't argue. We talk as we eat our food. The restaurant is near the beach, so we decide to take a walk there.

"Thank you for taking me to lunch today," I say as we begin to walk the shore.

"Thank you for letting me. I had a lot of fun, y/n." He smiles, slipping his hand into mine.

"I did too," I rub my thumb up the side of his hand.

"So," he says after a little bit of quiet as we walked along the shore, "have you seen any of those sandwitches?"

"I've been keeping my eye out," I say with a laugh, "no luck yet."

"We'll see one," he assured me, "don't worry."

We walk and talk for a while until we decide we're cutting it close for Clay and Drista coming home. We make our way back to where the car is parked.

I pause for a second, leaning down to the floor.

"What are you doing?" Nick chuckles.

I drag my finger in the sand. "Making a sandwitch," I say simply.

"Oh perfect," he leans down next to me to help. He makes a triangle on the head for a hat.

We stand up and look at our masterpiece. We both laugh at the horrible drawing.

"I don't think anyone could ever tell what that is," I say.

"Not one bit," he shakes his head, "oh well, at least we know."

He takes my hand as we walk back to our car.

I don't know why I could've possibly been so nervous before. The date was absolutely perfect, and I can't wait to go on more.

.author's note..

dad jokes are the best jokes

.word count.. 1274