.7. acting different

I sigh as I finally set my computer down. I had to watch Dream's newest video to see if it was good. I know I didn't necessarily get hired for editing, but I've helped Dream and George both with some videos already. I just finished working on a new thumbnail for George's video.

I stretch my back a little bit. Clay is on the computer as he does a little practice for the next manhunt.

"Do you want to go get some food?" I say to break the silence.

Clay sighs as he turns in his swivel chair. He looks like he could use a break as well. I took one earlier to get water, but he hasn't taken any. "Absolutely," he says, "Let me get dressed and grab my keys."

I walk out of his room as I wait for Clay to change out of his sweatpants. I lean on the kitchen counter, scrolling through my phone.

Nick walks into the kitchen and looks in the fridge. He doesn't even say hey. Strange.

"We're going to get food if you want to come." I say not really looking up from my phone.

He continues to look through the fridge, which I know only has take out in it since I looked earlier.

"I think I'm just going to stay here tonight," he says impassively.

My heart sinks a little. I've been at their house for two hours and all I've wanted to do is see Nick. Now he's declining my offer for food. I bet Clay would pay too.

Nick sounded like something wasn't alright, like something was bothering him. Usually he would want to come with us to grab some food.

"You good?" I ask as I set my phone down on the counter to give him my full attention.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he closes the fridge door with water in hand. I'm pretty sure that's not what he was looking for for that long. He starts to leave the kitchen as he tells me "Don't worry about it."

I feel a pang. He sounded so passive aggressive towards me. I don't think he's ever talked to me like that.

He walks out of the kitchen without saying another word. That was such a strange conversation. He's usually a little more engaging in conversation. He at least asks me how my day is going. He gives me something rather than the dry ass man that just came into the room. I hope he's okay.

Did I do something wrong?

Clay walks out of his room. "You ready?" he says as he grabs his keys off the counter.

"Yupp," I walk behind him, "Nick said he's not coming,"

"Really?" Clay sounds surprised. Maybe Nick is only avoiding me, and that's why Clay seems surprised. My only question is why.

"Yeah, I guess so," I try to sound normal. I don't want Clay to know that I'm attracted to his best friend. I don't know how he would react to that.

Clay and I grab some burgers from a place nearby. We go ahead and order Nick a milkshake and fries. It's better than nothing. Maybe he would view it as a peace offering from me.

He's in his room when we get home. Clay has to go to the bathroom, so I bring Nick the food by myself.

I knock on the door. I try to make it sound a little louder than my usual knock to make it sound like Clay, worried he wouldn't answer if he knew it was me.

"Come in," he calls from behind the door.

I slowly open the door. I can see from his monitor that he's on a discord call. He follows my eyes and reads my mind. "They can't hear you," he reassures me.