2. Like clockwork

On our way to Utah I listened to my hype playlist because I wanted to stay awake. I very much did because right as I got to the hotel in Montana I could not fall asleep even though it's 4 am in Washington. I decided that I was gonna go walk around outside and get some fresh air.

Once I get outside it finally hits me that I'm not gonna have any friends at my new school. You think I would be used to it because of moving so much but I'm really not. I broke down in one of the chairs in front of a fire pit when I heard someone behind me.

It was a girl that looked to be around my age, maybe a little younger because you never know. "Oh I'm so sorry I just came to sit out here, I didn't mean to bother you." I said as I bolted up from my chair and wiped my face clean of tears.

"Oh no don't worry I just saw you crying and was coming out here to check if you are. Are you?" She asked in a sweet tone. "Well it's a long story but I'm moving all the way across the country and I just realized I'm not gonna have any friends." I said with a soft chuckle.

"I'm so sorry! By the way, my name is Caylie." She said as she stuck out her hand. "My name's Lelani." I shook her hand and smiled. "How come you're at a hotel?" I asked. "Me and My boyfriend Derek decided to go on a little road trip from Kentucky up to Utah but he got tired of driving so we stopped here for the night." Once she was done talking my jaw dropped.

"What part of Kentucky?" I prayed it was Maysville. "Oh you probably have never heard of it but it's Maysville." I was going to pass out. "No way! That's where I'm moving." She looked at me with a dead serious look and said "You're not shitting me are you?" I shook my head and laughed.

After finding that out we also found out we would be at the same high school. This moves not gonna be that bad. We talked for another 45 minutes and then the coffee started to wear off. I asked for her number and then excused myself and made my way back into the hotel room.

Once I got back to the room I slowly got my pajamas and made my way into the bathroom. Once I turned on the shower I was ready to pass out on the floor. Luckily I didn't and got out of my clothes and stepped into the burning hot shower. It's the only way I'll shower if it's burning hot.

I hadn't realized how tired I truly was when it came time for me to get out of the shower. It felt like 6 people were picking up every limb just for me to walk a step. It took me a good 10 minutes to get my clothes on and when I was finally done I flopped down on my bed with Carlos sleeping peacefully next to me.

At 7:50 in the morning dad woke me up and told me to get ready because we were leaving in 10 minutes. At least he let me sleep in until the latest I could. I got up and put lululemon leggings on with my dad's grey hoodie. I put my hair up in a messy bun, brushed my teeth and headed to my car to get on the road.

Dad was in front of me again and Carlos behind me so they knew if something happened to me. I rocked out to J. Coles album The Off-season. He is one of my favorite artists. I randomly got a call from Caylie and answered it.

"Girl! I think I'm right next to you on the freeway. Look to the... right of you." I could tell she was trying to figure out her right and left and I let out a small laugh. I looked to my right and sure enough her and Derek were waving right at me. Last night Caylie told me that Derek is on the football team at our high school.

Now looking at him I can definitely tell that he plays some type of sport. I laughed and then hung up so I could focus on the road. As much as I like driving it still scares me because of what happened to mom.

When I was 9 my mom was driving home from work when her car slid on black ice and she slipped into a ditch and no one found her for 5 hours. Just thinking about it makes my eyes water and my breath quicken.

I know it is the middle of summer and there won't be any ice in the road but other things could still happen. After shaking my head to clear it and the tears in my eyes I turned up the radio and started jamming out to Paris by Suicide Boys.

People think it's strange that such a nice and innocent girl like myself listens to all this bad music but in all reality I have no clue as to what they're saying and I'm just sitting her along for the ride.

After about 4 hours of driving I got really hungry and so did Carlos so we begged dad to let us hurry and get food off of the side of the highway. We got the subway because that's dads favorite just we could butter him up to let us get out and go pee. Surprisingly he let us because normally he put up a fight to not let us stop.

Once we did everything we needed to, we got back on the road. After about another hour of driving I got sick of just listening to music so I put on an audio book because I couldn't be reading right now. I put on the book Girl in Pieces.

After 2 more hours we finally made it at our hotel in Colorado. This time I was awake again but everyone else was and we all decided to go out to dinner. Carlos decided for all of us that we were going to Chili's. I wasn't complaining about going because it was actually my favorite place to eat.

I got some buffalo chicken wings and dad and Carlos both got a full rack of ribs. I honestly don't know how they eat so much but they do. After we finished eating we stopped at Walmart to get some snacks for the road tomorrow so we don't have to stop on the way to Kansas.

Carlos said he didn't want to share a bed again because I guess I kicked him off the bed. I don't remember doing it but I still apologized 15 times. Once we got back to the hotel it was 11 pm so we all took turns taking showers and then flopped onto our beds.

Like clockwork dad woke me up at 7:50 and we left 10 minutes later. Today was our last day of driving and I think we were all thankful for that. After the nine hour drive we finally pulled into our new driveway.

When I got out of my car my legs felt like jello and I could hardly stand without wanting to cry. I got my box of bedding stuff and made my way to my new room. I put my comforter on the floor since my mattress wouldn't. As I laid down I finally was able to get a good night's sleep even though I knew only one person in this whole town.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: 1,300

With all love-

                 MER