22. Depression

Zade's POV:

For the last 3 weeks all Lani has been doing is healing from getting her tonsils out. Her voice is finally starting to sound normal. To me it was sexy but to her she said she sounded like a witch.

From all the eating ice cream and doing homework she's been doing I'm pretty sure she forgot that her birthday is next Thursday. I talked to Carlos and Mr. Hernandez and they said it was okay to throw a party at her house.

Carlos is going to be home but the day before her birthday Mr. Hernandez is getting deployed so it will be an emotional day for Leilani. I stayed with her for a month until everyone came back and finally went back home.

It's a stupid thing to say but I miss having her next to me at night. I have never become so dependent on someone. She's the first person that I've opened up to. Not about everything but about most things.

It's been hard seeing Leilani in so much pain but she has been getting through all of it. She gets up at 12 in the afternoon then takes a nap at 4 then goes to bed at 12. She has a routine like a child.

I make fun of her for it but she doesn't care. She does what she wants. Going back to school was hard for her because the teachers didn't understand that it hurt her to talk and they would still call on her.

Last night I made a separate group chat without Lani so I could talk to the group about her birthday. We all agreed we wanted it to be a surprise. Caylie planned it perfectly so we knew what, how, and when everything was going to happen.

"Zade!" Lani screamed from upstairs in her room. "What Lani?" I screamed back as I started walking up the stairs with the last popsicle from her stash in the freezer. I walked into her room as she sat on her bed with a small smile on her face. "Do you want kids?"

I look back at her face to see she's serious. "Well yea. But not right now." I handed her her popsicle. "Good." She smiled and started playing on her phone while eating her popsicle. I laid in between her legs and also started playing on my phone.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I know, Leilani is screaming. I jump up out of her bed and look at her. "What happened?" I almost screamed back at her. "You are not going to believe this. I don't believe it. Zade I'm freaking out."

She looked happy but confused all at the same time. "What? What is it?" She grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes. "Caylies pregnant." My jaw dropped. "No fucking way." She nodded her head in excitement. "Her and Derek are on their way over with Miles, they haven't told him yet."

When they got to Lani's house I still couldn't believe it. I looked at Caylie and she looked happy and then I looked at Derek and he looked happy. Did they plan this? Did they want kids? Is that why Lani asked me if I wanted kids? Because she knew they were trying.

Miles was all over the place when they told him. Screaming, crying, and jumping all over the place. I've never seen him like that. "Oh my god Leilani you should get pregnant so they could be best-" "Absolutely not." I cut him off.

Lani's POV:

"When's the baby due?" I asked excitedly. "August 15th!" Derek looked happy, sounded happy too. "When do we find out the sex?" Miles asked, still jumping up and down. "They said around the beginning of April so we made an appointment for April 7." Caylie said, kissing Derek's cheek.

"So what are we gonna be to this baby?" Zade asked. He sounded cute talking about baby stuff. "Whatever you want to be aunts, uncles, or any type of family." Caylie smiled at us before getting up and walking toward my kitchen. She grabbed a bunch of snacks and sat back down on her seat.