Vinnie

"You could become human," he said, eyes ahead.

"Ask her out already, you wuss," Dylan begged, teasing me in the process. 

  While the boys and I went to get pizza to celebrate with movies, later on, I had told Louis, Dylan and Klaus about my feelings for Sarah and our romantic moments together. Huge mistake. They kept calling me a 'scared little wuss' since I hadn't asked her out yet. 

  I knew exactly why I hadn't, though. 

  We wouldn't work out. She was a human, I was a vampire. 

  I couldn't spend my life without her, and I didn't want to be selfish enough to turn into one. Both Dylan and Louis suggested ways to ask her out without getting rejected, and all the while, I listened mindlessly. 

  Klaus still hadn't uttered a word, so when he did finally speak, I was surprised. 

  "You could become human," he said, eyes ahead. 

  I froze in my tracks, not noticing that Dylan and Louis had stopped talking too. 

  "How?" It was all I managed to sputter out in my complete state of shock. Become human? That possibility hadn't even crossed my mind. Wasnt it impossible. 

  "Dad's research led me to find a cure that Sheila had hidden should her plan to become a hybrid fail that could turn any supernatural being back into a human. I didn't tell you this before because I wanted it for myself," Klaus admitted. 

  I still had no idea how to respond, so I nodded slightly, motioning him to continue. 

  "I found a guy who comes into the woods sometimes to shoot, and I fell in love with him. Thought if I took the cure, I could be with him," he continued. "When I told him how I felt, he got weirded out and stopped showing up. I found out he had a girlfriend." 

  All this information about Klaus that I had found out was too much to handle. I forgot why we were on the way to the pizzeria and stopped. "You're gay?" I asked. 

  He nodded, a look of disappointment in his eyes. 

  I had never done this in my whole life, but before I realised what I was doing, I stepped toward him and enveloped him in a hug, patting his back. "I'm proud of you," I said against his neck. 

  I could tell he was not expecting that because he took a while before returning the gesture. It was the safest I had ever felt with  Klaus and the only time I had felt genuine happiness for him. 

  We pulled away, smiling. I noticed then just how much he looked like our father, but instead of feeling grief, I felt closure. I felt complete. Justice was finally served to my parents. 

  "I think I'll take that cure, brother." 

  Klaus and I sent Louis and Dylan to get the pizza while I followed Klaus back to our old house to get the cure. My heart was pounding against my chest. What if this wasn't what Sarah wanted? 

  What if this wasn't what I wanted? 

  "Are you sure you want to become mortal for some girl?" Klaus asked. 

  That stung, but I knew why. He had his hopes raised by a guy he barely knew and was about to change his life forever for him, only to get disheartened. 

  "Sarah isn't 'some girl'," I responded. "She understands me in ways I didn't think I could be understood. She heals me, emotionally. She made me realise what true love is. In her, I see my future and my heart's desires." 

  Damn, I didn't realise how real it sounded until I said it out loud. 

  Klaus' face softened and he nodded approvingly. He went into the house and came out moments later with a tiny vial of liquid. It looked like blood. 

  "Here's the cure," he said, handing it over. "I'm proud of you too, brother."