2. Generation

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

The door's open so I walk right into the huge white mansion. I'm anxious to see everyone again. Especially my daughter, Rose. I've really missed her. Aron and I went on a little vacation in Bali to celebrate our engagement. It was actually a lot of fun but one week would have been enough for me. I can't be away from Rose for too long. 

As I walk inside I'm greeted by Steven. 

"Sky!" He exclaims before picking me off the ground and hugging me like he hasn't seen me in two years. 

"Jeez, Steve. It's only been two weeks." 

"Two weeks too long. I really missed you, buddy." Steven's caring blue eyes probe into my soul. He ruffles my hair. 

I smile. He really kind of feels like a dad to me. I missed him too.

Loren comes in just that moment. She looks shiny and stunning as ever. 

"Loren!" It's like a breath of fresh air to see her again. I embrace her tightly. 

"Did you enjoy being with Rose for a while?" I ask. 

"Totally. I made sure she won't forget who her mama is when I go off to college." She smiles. 

"Good. Speaking of which, where is she?" I'm dying to see her. 

"She's on a walk with my mom. They should be back soon."

My shoulders slump. I can't wait another minute. 

"Don't worry. They'll be back in an hour." 

"An hour!" I complain. 

"Where's Aron?" Loren laughs. 

"He's at college. Meeting his classmates and all that." 

"That's so cool! He's so lucky his college is in town.." Loren goes on about Aron and colleges but I'm completely distracted. Chase walks down the bright white stairs and all I can say is.. he looks different. I guess he has been changing all this time but not seeing him for two weeks really made it clear to me.

I'm completely surprised. 

His hair is several shades darker, there's a silver ring in his left nostril and he looks so much older than how I remember him. He's also gained some muscle. Before he was just super lanky and now he looks tall and strong. It's a total mind-fuck.

"What the—" 

"Sky!" He picks me up and squeezes me half to death, much like his dad. 

"I'm so glad to see you!" He smiles. 

"You got your braces out!" I notice when he puts me down on the ground.

"Yep. My teeth are perfectly straight now." He shows them off proudly. "I can't stop licking my them.." 

I'm kind of mesmerized watching him. His face looks so different. He's got a perfect sun tan and most of the baby fat is gone now. His jaw is sharper and his eyes.. bluer? I don't know what's going on. 

We're both stuck staring at each other.

"Chase, why don't you go to the grocery store? Loren and I will start dinner." Steven says, pulling our attention away from each other.

"Sky, wanna come?" He asks. 

"Sure." I shrug.

× × ×

"You look so different." I say as I drive to the grocery store. 

"Different?" 

"Yeah.. You look kinda.. hot." I say honestly.. and slightly unsettled.