37. Change

Chase.

✙ ☠ ✙

After lots of begging my dad finally decided to let me go to school again. Being cooped up in my room making homework in the dark has really been getting me down. He did, however, give me a few conditions. There's gonna be a teacher following me around all day and my dad is going to take me to and from school. It's pretty lame but I'm just happy to leave the house semi-alone. 

Dad and I are in the car on the way to school. It's painfully quiet. I turn on the radio. 

"Chase?" 

"Yeah?"

"We need to set up some ground rules before you go." 

"Didn't we already set up ground rules?" I complain.

"No, those were conditions. Now, I'm fine with you talking to your friends," 

"Gee, thanks, dad. Glad I got your permission." 

"Don't give me a big mouth." My dad gives me a warning look. 

I sigh. 

"You can talk to your friends but I want you to talk to some new people too." 

"Dad.." I whine. 

"I'm serious. Those guys left you in the gutter to fend for yourself. They should've stood by you. You need new friends." Dad pulls up at the parking lot. 

"What I need is some time alone. Bye dad!" I open the door and basically run out of my dad's sight as fast as possible. 

"Wait till Mrs. Ryder comes before you go inside!" Dad yells after me. 

I'm so embarrassed.

I spot Wayne and the other guys by the side of the school. 

"Hey!" I say. 

"Chasey!" They give me a loud welcome. We give each other pound hugs and high fives. 

"Where have you been, man? We thought you died!" Zane laughs. 

"Nope. I was grounded. Like, 'don't go to school' grounded and my dad took my phone." 

"Shit, man." 

"Yeah.. It's been quite rough." 

Suddenly there's a silence. The guys all share glances with each other.

"So... is it true?" Max finally asks. 

"Is what true?" I chuckle. 

They all stare at me wide-eyed. 

"Everyone's saying you tried to off yourself." Wayne says. 

"What?" 

"Yeah, there are rumors spreading that you tried to freshman year and that this is like your second attempt or some shit." Tom says. 

How did anyone find out about that? The only people from school that knew were Sky, Loren and Aron. They wouldn't tell. How do they know? Maybe someone's parent works at the hospital?

"No way, is it true?" Zane gasps. 

"No! It's not! I didn't try to kill myself, not this time," 

"Shit, so freshman year..." 

No use lying anymore.

I nod. 

"No fucking way.." The guys all look at me in surprise. They look uncomfortable and even a little scared. 

The bell rings. They all get ready to leave. 

"Have any of you seen Alex?" I ask. 

"Uh.. I think he's sleeping in or something. Anyway, see ya." Wayne says before heading for the door without me.