34. Alone.

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

It's been about two weeks since Chase told his family about me and him. Not a word from him or Steven. Loren texted me a schedule for Rose since she's staying in LA for the time being. I complied. She gets Rose throughout the week. I get the weekends. We never talk. She just comes to pick Rose up. She won't even look at me. Of course Aron is busy with school. Harry, Jimmy and Heather too. We talk on the phone, though. 

I've been feeling incredibly alone these past few days. I miss Steven. I can't forget the way he looked at me that day. Like he really hated me. Like he really wished I'd never come into their lives.

I've been missing my dad. Which is ridiculous. I barely know the guy. And he broke my mother's heart. Again.

But I have been missing him. I loved hugging him. I felt warm in his arms. I felt like I finally belonged there and now he's just gone. 

I ring the bell to my mom's place. 

She opens the door. 

"Hi, sweetie." She's brushing her hair in a hurried fashion

I come inside.

"You're in a hurry." I state. 

"Yeah. I have work."

"Oh. I thought you had the day off." 

"I did but I took an extra shift. I'd have less time to think." She chuckles. She's been surprisingly okay after what happened with my dad. I'm sure she does cry a lot. But never in front of me. She puts up a good front. I'm not used to it from her. 

"Right." I nod. 

She grabs her bag and heads for the door. "I'll be back by nine, okay?" 

"Okay." She kisses my forehead. "Bye baby."  She runs out the door. 

The door slams shut and I look around the apartment. 

I put my hands in my pocket. I forgot my phone at home. So I guess I can't aimlessly scroll through the internet while I wait for my mom to get back.

I thought I would spend some time with ma but I guess not. Aron's at school. So are my friends. 

I sigh. I feel so hopelessly alone. 

I think of my dad again and wonder what he's doing right now. Maybe he's hunting with Tom or something. I feel pain in my chest. I stare at the phone on the wall in the kitchen. 

I really miss him. I miss his stupid jokes. I miss his hugs. I miss having him around. I know I'm betraying my mom by doing this. But I can't stand being alone with my guilt and my pain. I need someone. I need my dad. I go up to the phone on the wall. I stand there for a moment. 

I remember his number. It's incredibly pathetic but I memorized it. I press the number into the dial pad. Voicemail. I sigh. He did say he barely uses his phone. I could try calling grandma. 

I go through my mom's phone book. 

Oliver's Mom. 

I press the number into the phone. I wrap the chord around my fingers while I wait. I really hope she picks up. Maybe I could just go over there and stay with them for a while. Away from here. 

After a short wait someone picks up. 

"Hello?" 

"Grandma! It's Sky." I smile. 

"Oh Sky! I'm so glad you're calling!" She sounds delighted. 

"How are you holding up?" She asks sympathetically. It's like she telepathically knows how bad I'm doing. 

"Could be better.." I laugh.

"I'm actually calling for dad. Is he around? I tried to call him but he didn't pick up." 

I hear some rustling on the other end. "O..oh. I thought you knew.." She sounds down all of a sudden. 

"Knew what? Did he disappear or something?" I chuckle. Maybe he ran away without telling anyone where he was going. Seems like something he would do.

"Oh, I'm so bad at this sort of thing.. Burt? I Ah, he can't hear me." 

"What's going on?" She's worrying me now.

"Well—  Honey, are you sitting down? I think you should sit down." 

"Can you please just tell me what's going on?" My hand begins to tremble. I'm holding my breath. 

"Sweetie, your father passed away yesterday. I thought you knew.." 

No. No, no, no.. 

The room starts to shake. I hold onto the wall for support. 

"How?" I whisper. 

"Apparently he had an illness. He hadn't told anybody at all. None of us knew.." 

She continues to explain the details and how she found out but I can't hear her anymore. I drop the phone and slide down the wall to the floor. 

He's not dead. He can't be dead. He said he lied. He said he wasn't sick. He couldn't have lied straight to my face about that.. He wouldn't do that. How could he do that? 

"Sky? Sky..?" 

I put my hands in my hair and try to calm down. I try to collect myself. 

My father is dead.

I thought I felt alone before. I was wrong.