15. Dinner At The Chambers

Chase.

✙ ☠ ✙

"I said: I'm home! Where's the applause?" Loren jokes. 

"Loren!" My dad smiles as he goes up to hug her.

He looks happy and relieved to see her. She's like a ray of sunshine. Everything's all good again now that she's here. She's totally everyone's favorite. Always has been. She's everything I'm not: smart, pretty, outgoing, funny. I'm just awkward and quiet. 

Mom goes in to hug her too. 

"Chase!" Loren says excitedly, her arms wide open. 

"Sis!" I embrace her. 

She pulls away. "So what is this I hear about you being a total player? All the girls are fawning over you. It's all over Instagram." She beams. 

Great. This is gonna follow me through life. I sigh.

"Everyone's just gone crazy at school, I guess." I shrug. 

Loren gives me a playful smirk before walking towards the table. 

"Sky texted me, he said he'd come later. Car trouble or something." She says casually.

Why did he text her and not me? 

"Alright. Let's eat!" My mom looks all perfect again. A new layer of mascara. A new mask. She's great at pretending. So is Loren. When it comes to that I'm much more like my dad. He's an open book. 

Everyone joins Loren at the table.

"Loren, would you like to say grace?" Mom asks.

We all hold hands and close our eyes.

"Dear Lord, thank you for bringing us all together. Thank you for allowing us to share this bountiful meal. Please give food to those in need as well. Amen."

"Amen." We all repeat and we dig in. 

"Mmm! This is so good, mom! I totally missed this!" Loren moans, her mouth stuffed. 

"I'm happy you like it, sweetie." My mom smiles. 

"Now, tell us all about college." Dad asks. He's already glowing of pride. 

Loren got into Yale. She's studying sociology. I wonder if I'll get into an Ivy League. If I don't my mom will lynch me. Which means I should probably pay more attention in school. 

"..And my classmates are all so lovely!" 

"Are they being nice to you?" My mom asks. That's code for: Are you ruling the school yet? 

"Absolutely! Everyone's always ready to help me out. Even the teachers speak very fondly of me. I got asked out by like, five different guys already." Loren laughs before taking a bite of food.

Mom and dad laugh too. 

"Don't you have a boyfriend?" I ask, sounding a little more salty than I meant to. 

Loren gives me a look. "Yeah... about that.." Suddenly she looks all sad. "Charlie and I broke up." She says. 

"Oh no.." My mom grabs Loren's hand. 

"Yeah.. We just weren't right for each other in the end." 

"I'm sorry, honey." My dad says sympathetically. 

"What does that mean? Who dumped who?" I ask bluntly. 

"Chase!" My mom gasps. 

"Diana, we need to let the children speak to each other freely without making such a big deal out of things. This is how kids talk."