11. A Little Present

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

Steven and I have been practicing lots for his big serenade to my mom. I'm so excited! If things work out between my mom and him that would be amazing. There's nothing I wish more for them. Steven is the sweetest man I know and my mom has been through so much shit, she totally deserves someone like Steve. It could not be more perfect. 

I'm hanging out at my mom's since Diana's spending some time with Rose right now. 

"You've been acting quite strange lately." My mom joins me on the couch.

"Well, I could say the same to you." I give her a look. "You've been singing, whistling.. even dancing! It's almost like you're in love..." I take a sip from my tea. 

My mom begins to blush. 

I smile. "I'm right, aren't I?"

"Maybe.." She stares out the window with a big smile on her face. 

"Is it someone I know?" I pry. 

"Actually, it is." 

I knew it! I knew it! She's totally into Steve! I mean, how could she not be? This is a total confession! And I thought she needed a grand gesture! She's swooning! 

Still, Steven and I have been working too hard on the piano song to just give up now. Sorry, mom but you'll have to wait. I'm so excited.

"I'm sure he likes you back." 

My mom gives me a suspicious look. 

"Whoever it is." I add.

My mom gets up. "Speaking of which. I have a little present for you."

"A gift? What for?"  

"Just a gift. It'll arrive in a few minutes. Now you may not like it at first but you'll grow to—"

"What is this about?!" 

My mom starts walking towards the door. She looks so happy. 

I'm way confused. 

"I'll speak to you later." My mom looks super concerned all of a sudden. "I love you." She presses.

"You too.." Why does it feel like she's leaving for good? 

The door closes behind her. 

No, she can't leave. That's not what this is. I'm just being paranoid. 

Am I, though? It's not like she hasn't left before. But she always came back. She'll come back. 

And what is this gift about? She looked so worried..

Jesus, I hate surprises. I wish she would just tell me. 

I sit there for another ten minutes completely driving myself insane. 

I decide to text Aron. 

Sky: mom was acting rlly weird. im scared.

After a few minutes I get a reply.

Aron: I'm almost done w class, be there soon

Aron: Don't worry. It'll be okay <3

Aron: Te quiero

Sky: te quiero

I get the scare of my life when the doorbell suddenly rings. 

I get up and walk over to the door. 

My hand's shaking as I open it. 

There's a package on the floor.