36. Parents

Chase. 

✙ ☠ ✙

We're at the graveyard. It's somewhere quiet and remote at the top of a hill. I look around at all the thumb stones. All the people that have died. I think about myself. I could've been one of them two years ago. Hell, I could have been one of them this year. I look at Sky. He looks serious. But not sad. Composed. Poised. It's strange seeing him this way. 

"We are gathered here today to grieve the loss of Oliver Kent." The priest begins. "Who was taken from us too soon. I will begin this service with a prayer after which any of you who'd like to speak about Oliver may do so."  The priest priest looks down at his bible. 

"Oh God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy servant and grant him an entrance into the land of light and joy," 

Aron caresses Sky's back in support. 

"In the fellowship of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen."

"Amen." Everyone repeats.

After a long silence Sky's grandma steps forward to speak about Oliver.

"Oliver was a special man.." Sky's grandma is talking now. He's holding her hand. "He was a little rascal as a kid. He was a rebellious teenager. And he was a man that was hard to pin down. But he was also.." Tears stream down her face. She gets choked up. 

"Do you want me to read it for you?" Sky asks gently.

She nods. 

He takes the note from her hands. "But he was also a kind man. He was always raising money for our church, he came home with scars on his face multiple times because he had defended some kid from the bullies at school, and he was in love." Sky looks at his mom. "He was in love with a woman named Lisa. And sometimes he was harsh and he was cruel. He was never perfect. But he was always my son. Oliver." 

Everyone starts to clap. 

Sky kisses his grandma's cheek. "That was beautiful, grandma." 

"Thank you, sweetie." She embraces him. 

Lisa is crying now too. My dad puts his arm around her. 

When everyone's done saying goodbye they lower the casket into the grave. 

Sky, his grandparents and his mom all throw some dirt into the grave before it gets buried.

All the while Sky is comforting his family. Not shedding a single tear.

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

After the funeral I sit in the blue little room. Everyone's downstairs. Talking about my dad. Grieving. Going on about how great of a man he was. I think it's all bullshit. He left his son and the 'woman he loved so much' to fend for themselves. Then he came back, lied about having a disease, then lied about not having a disease.. And.. he never loved me. I asked him if he loved me at all and he couldn't say it. What kind of great man doesn't even love his own son? 

I sigh and look around the room. I see my dad's sweater on a chair. 

I grab it and take a look at it. It is hideous. I squeeze it close to my body. 

I hear a knock on the door. 

"Yeah." 

Aron peaks inside. 

He knows by now not to ask me if I'm okay because the answer is always the same. 

He joins me on the bed and puts his arms around my shoulder. I rest my head on his.