24. Coward

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

"I'm worried about Chase." I say to Aron while we eat dinner.

"Don't be, he's just growing up."

"Do you really think so? Loren said he's acting too different and he's getting drunk and high all the time and he hasn't been here in ages!"

"Wasn't there a time when we did all those things?" Aron takes a bite of his risotto.

"Not without reason. Something's wrong. He almost broke down crying the other day, Aron."

"So what do you wanna do? Just force him to talk? You have to wait till he comes to you and he will."

"I hope so."

My phone starts ringing. I pick up.

"Hey mom."

"Hey sweetie!" My mom sounds super happy. She's probably with dad. "I have some exciting news!"

"You're not marrying him, are you?"

"No! Don't be crazy!" She laughs hysterically. I hate how happy she is because of that jerk.

"We're going on a trip!"

Here we go again with the trips.

"Oh really, how fun for you.." I say sarcastically.

Aron gives me a look.

"No, your father, Aron, you and me!"

"I'm not going anywhere with that guy."

"Sky, please."

"What kind of trip?" I sigh.

"He wants to show you where he's from! We're going to Tennessee!"

"The country? Oh we're gonna love that.." I roll my eyes.

"Please, it'll be a good chance to get to know him!"

I sigh.

"Tell him I'll teach him how to shoot a gun!" My dad yells from the other side of the phone.

"I don't wanna shoot a gun! And I can't go, I have a kid to raise." Lamest excuse ever.

"I already asked Di to take care of her while we're away this weekend!" My mom beams.

"Coming weekend?!"

"Pleaaaasseeee!"

Ugh.

"Okay." I sigh annoyed.

"This is going to be great! I just know it!" She hangs up.

"We're going to Tennessee this weekend." I say to Aron.

"You don't seem too enthusiastic."

"I don't wanna spend a whole weekend with my father in the country." I sigh and sit on Aron's lap. "At least you'll be there."

"Coming weekend..?"

I nod.

"Sky.. I have to finish an assignment this weekend.."

"No. You're not leaving me in the middle of nowhere with my deadbeat father!"

"I'm sorry, I just need to finish some things! College is really tough!"

"But we've barely spent time together lately. You're always doing school stuff."

"Well, you want me to be a good lawyer, don't you?"