12. Father

Sky.

✙ ☠ ✙

"Look, I just wanted to give you some time with your dad.." My mom argues.

"You could've told me that you were talking to him but instead you just lied to me!" 

"I know." She nods.

My dad's at his hotel, Aron is with some friends and I'm back at my mom's apartment trying to figure out what the hell possessed her to let that useless jerk back into our lives. 

Steve and I have spent so long practicing the song for my mom and I was so sure she liked him. Turns out she likes my dad. 

"How did you even find him! You said you didn't know where he was, was that a lie too?!" 

"No! Sky, I never lied about that! We lost touch after the last time he visited. I got to thinking when I saw Rose with Steven and Diana and I thought about your father. I called his mom, his brother and finally found out where he lived. Then I sent him a letter a few weeks ago.. We talked on the phone and I.." 

"You love him, don't you? You guys are back together?" 

My mom sighs and then nods. 

"I just don't get it! How could you still love him? He left us!" I raise my voice. 

"Everybody makes mistakes, Sky. You can't blame him for something that happened years ago! The important part is that he's here." 

"Are you kidding? Of course I blame him for what he did! I grew up without a fucking father! I had to learn everything by myself!" 

"That wasn't just his fault." She says quietly, guilt in her eyes. 

"You're right. It was yours too." I get up.

"Sky, I understand you're angry at me but please.. If not for me, for yourself just spend some time with him. I want you to know him. Please." 

"No way." I head for the door. I'm done with my mom. And now I also have to tell Steven he's been replaced by my dead beat dad. 

"He's sick, Oliver." 

I stop in my tracks. It's like my heart's not beating for a moment. 

I turn around. "What do you mean, sick?" 

She stares at the floor and takes a shaky breath. Then her wet eyes meet mine. "He doesn't have much time left." 

I can't believe how much this hurts me. How deeply I feel about this. He meant nothing to me. I barely know the guy and still hearing that he's dying is heart-wrenching. 

"We don't know how long but he doesn't have much time left so please.. I want you to know him while you can." She wipes her cheek. "Maybe then you'll finally understand why I love him."

I look down at the floor.

× × ×

I pace up and down the wooden porch of Steven's house a million times before I finally knock. 

The door creaks open and I walk on inside. 

"Steve?" I call. 

I hear the piano from the living room. 

I sigh and walk further into the house. Steven's playing the song we practiced almost perfectly. He smiles a cheerful smile when he sees me. 

I smile back faintly. 

I lean against the door frame and watch him play. He's so happy. And so in love. Now I have to come here and break his heart. I really thought Steve was going to be my dad soon. He feels more like my dad than my real father. How do I tell him this was all for nothing?