43. What's up?

Chase.

✙ ☠ ✙

I called my dad with a phone at some bar to say I was okay and that I just needed some time alone. He sounded worried but he seemed to trust that I would be alright. 

I come home at around 9PM. 

I close the door behind me. Loren and Dad are watching TV. They look up when they see me. 

Dad comes in to hug me. "I'm glad you're okay." He sighs of relief. 

"Your mom told me you two got into a fight." He pulls away and scans my face. 

"Yeah. Did she tell you anything else?" 

"No. She just went up to her room."

"I have some things to tell you guys." I join Loren on the couch. 

"The reason mom and I had a fight was because.. I told her I was gay." I look at both of their faces gauging their response. 

Loren doesn't seem surprised.. neither does Dad. Of course not, I told them about Sky and I don't think anyone bought that I ever liked girls. I chuckle. "I guess you guys knew that." 

"Chase, I been knew since you were like.. nine." My dad says.

"Don't talk like that!" I chuckle 

"Why not? I'm just trying to be a cool dad. You know? Down with the kids." 

"Stop! You're so cringy!" I laugh. 

"He's kinda right." Loren pulls a face. 

"You know what? You kids are ungrateful. You have the hippest dad in the world.."

"Hippest? Oh my God." Loren laughs. 

My dad shakes his head and sighs. 

".. So your mother wasn't very happy about hearing the news?" Dad says.

I shake my head.

"Mom.. She wanted to send me to a conversion camp and she wanted me to talk to a pastor."

"Seriously?" Loren looks really angry. So does dad. 

"Is she crazy? Doesn't she know the dangers of something like that?! Doesn't she know how the isolation, humiliation and torture of something like that drives people to depression and suicide?!" Dad tries real hard not to scream. 

I shrug. "I guess not. But the main thing is that I don't think I can live here anymore. I don't want to see her." 

"Neither do I." Loren says firmly. 

"Loren, you don't have to do that for me. You can still see her—" 

"Look, I knew she might not be happy with you being gay and I could live with that that but sending you to a conversion camp? Abusing you? I can't accept that. I don't want to have anything to do with a mother who could be so cruel to her child." 

"Pack your suitcases." Dad says. His voice stern and his face stale. 

× × ×

It's a week later. We have most of our things at dad's place now. After I came home that night and came out to him and Loren, my dad said he would give me more freedom if I kept up my good behavior. I haven't cut since I got out of the hospital (my dad checks) and I've been doing much better. Praying helps. Writing in my journal does too. So my dad decided I could resume my school life without a teacher watching over my shoulder all the time. Which means, I get my friends back. Finally. I don't get to have my phone back yet and he's still bringing me to and from school but, hey, every little bit helps.