10. Disposable

Chase.

✙ ☠ ✙

I walk the last bit to school in a uniform of black. Black ripped skinny jeans, black Vans, a black hoodie and black sunglasses. Today I want to disappear. 

My head is fucking killing me. I drank way too much yesterday. I'm eternally grateful to Wayne and Luke for letting me crash there. My mom would have skinned me. 

I acted like such an asshole last night. I think I broke up with Fawn but I can't remember clearly what I said. 

I see her pass by. 

"Fawn," I grab her arm. 

She looks at me. She seems hurt. 

"I'm sorry about yesterday. I was a jerk. I didn't mean to say it like that." 

Her eyes begin to tear up. 

"So.. you did actually mean to break up with me?" A tear runs over her cheek. 

I notice a lot of eyes on us. But much like yesterday.. I don't care what they think. I'm just done lying.

"I just think it's better this way." 

Another tear streams down her face. 

I feel really bad for her. I never wanted to be the kind of person that breaks hearts like this. 

"I'm sorry." I say. 

"They were right about you." She whispers and walks away. 

"Fawn!" I stare after her. 

It can't be helped, I guess. Of course she's hurt.

I sigh and walk on inside. The guys immediately meet me. 

They start to high five me and hug me and stuff.

"What did I do?"

"Man, all the girls are after you. Everyone says you're a huge player. You've made it." Alex says, amazed.

"I told you he would! Y'all guys were doubting my wisdom!" Luke says. 

"How am I a player?" 

"Breaking up with Fawn like that. She's like one of the hottest girls in the school, man." Luke is almost annoyed he has to explain this to me. 

"Chase?" A female voice calls from behind me. 

I turn around. It's a girl I don't know. 

"Um.. I was just wondering if you have plans tonight." 

The guys all start making noise. It's really annoying. 

"I do, actually." My mom's dumb charity event. 

"Oh." She looks disappointed. 

"Maybe some other time." I try to smile. It takes more effort than ever. 

I walk away. 

The guys all holler, calling me a fuckboy and all that. 

I don't know what my life has come to at this point. I thought everyone would hate me after how I acted yesterday but they seem to think it was cool. And that I'm some kind of bad boy now. I'm turning into everything I hate about high school... but I'm too tired to care. 

× × ×

My mom and I step out of the car. We're at the charity event. 

I immediately spot the little red carpet where photographers are taking pictures.