44. F L A S H Y !

Chase.

✙ ☠ ✙

I just went for a nice long walk around the block. My dad's really cool with me going out on my own these days, so long as I have my ugly flip phone and don't take the car. Which.. I couldn't do anyway since he took the keys. Poor Blue Legend. I really miss driving it. 

It's hella hot today but I really wanted to go for a walk. It's my day off and I've spent most of the day playing games with Loren and talking to Aron and Sky on the phone. Sky's much happier these days. It makes me feel good.

I'm... okay. Not as sad as before but definitely not happy either. I wonder when the dark fog on my brain is going to lift. 

I reach the front yard and spot a bright pink glittery motorcycle in the driveway. I can't help but laugh. It looks absolutely ridiculous. It's a clown-mobile. It's even too much for Loren's taste. Who would drive around on such a flashy motorcycle?

I turn the key and head inside. 

"Dad," I chuckle. "What's with the hideous motorcycle outside? I know Loren can be extreme but—" I stop talking as I enter the living room area and lay eyes on an entity that replaces my good mood with annoyance. 

Anthony looks sort of annoyed too.

I look from him to my dad. 

"What's he doing here?" I murmur. 

My dad gets up from the couch while Anthony continues to sip his tea. 

"After seeing your horrible grades, I decided to ask your school for a tutor in math. Anthony here was available so.." 

Seriously?! This guy?! Out of all the math geeks in the school I get this one?!

"Can we talk?" I say quietly.

"Of course we can. After your study session. I'm sure Anthony here doesn't have all day." Dad says happily.

I look at Anthony. He nods with a flat smile on his face. 

"It's kind of urgent." I press. 

"Chase, there's no worming your way out of this. Just give it a try. When your grades are better, you'll thank me." 

"But Dad—" 

"Chase," Dad gives me warning look. 

I sigh defeated. 

"Your mom is coming over in a while so unless you wanna see her.." 

"Let's go." I mutter, hurrying up the stairs. 

I open the door to my room and Anthony walks inside. He only quickly scans the room before focusing on me again. 

"I see you're not thrilled to have me as your tutor."

"I'm not thrilled to have a tutor at all. Not everything's about you." Though in this case it is. Not that he needs to know that.

He sighs a bored sigh. "Look, this isn't exactly how I wish to spend my Saturday either but, you know, that limited edition Prada bandana isn't going to buy itself." 

I roll my eyes annoyed. Can this guy talk about something important for a change?

I grab a chair from Loren's room and sit next to Anthony at my desk. He opens the textbook and begins to explain some things that make absolutely no sense to me. 

"Are you paying any attention at all?"

"This stuff just doesn't make sense to me! And why should I care what x equals? Who the fuck is x?"