One

"Brit! Come here this instant!" Mom yelled from her office and I groaned inwardly.

I stood up from my bed and wore my slippers. I fixed my hair into a ponytail and slapped my cheeks to stay awake.

It's quarter past eight and I am already sleepy. I have finished my homeworks earlier because I wanted to catch on sleep.

We are almost at the end of the School Year. Three more months and I am about to graduate from High School.

"Brittany!" Mom's irritated voice snapped me out of my reverie.

I jumped, startled and rushed to their office which is on the room beside their bedroom. I scurried past Kuya Benson's and as usual, loud music can be heard from his closed doors.

"M-mom." I stuttered and met her gaze when I reached the office.

Mom sighed and massaged the bridge of her nose before removing her eyeglasses. She placed it on top of the white paper with some scribbles on it. She pointed to the seat across hers which sends me the cue to sit.

With trembling knees and perplexed look, I shifted uncomfortably on my chair.

"Your dad and I will be away for a week. May I trust the house to you? As well as your kuya?" She asked, well, said sounding hesitant.

"Saan- where are you going to, Mom?" I asked. I immediately  remembered that she wants us to speak English inside our house.

According to her, this will prepare us when we face the real world. Moreso, in my opinion, they are already training us to handle our family business. Which is a retail company of shoes and bags.

Our family is known to have created and sold over a million pairs of sports shoes during their younger days. Dad is a fan of sports while mom is fond of collecting bags of different brands and types.

Eventually, they met and created something productive out of it. Yeah, and soon, made us.

This is also one of the reasons why I- rather, we, were able to pass the famous Stradborgh Academy for International Students. One of their qualifications include an incredibly high income for the parents of their students. Obviously, to fund for everything their kids will be needing.

"We have a conference and benchmarking in LA and will drop by at your grandfather's house for about four to five days." She answered and sipped on her tea. Chamomile tea, to be precise. For her, it calms her nerves at times when she is most stressed out, which is very rarely, considering how she is always organized and authoritative.

"Okay, Mom." I nodded and clung to my pajamas.

She stared at me for a couple more seconds before she finally let me go. As I stood up, I realized I was holding my breath when Mom called me again.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" She pressed and I gripped on the doorknob of the study tightly.

"No, Mom. Nothing." I said with conviction meeting her eyes.

"Alright. Don't hesitate to open up if you feel like it. You go and sleep." Mom looked at me with narrow eyes as if unsure and unconvinced. I gave her a smile to show that I am fine. She nodded dismissively and I went out of the study, carefully closing the door behind me.

Once I was out, I let out a sigh of relief.

Mom can both be kind and strict at times, but I kind of understand her. Although, I admit she can be overbearing most of the time.

I went to my bedroom and sighed.

What was troubling me recently are my grades. They always want me to be on top.

But, this time, I have doubts with myself.

I began to be lax in my academics as I started to enjoy being around my friends.

Even if I have my family to back me up, I still want to pass and qualify for Stradborgh University.

Besides, I want to pass because I can. Not because of connections.

Hindi ko naman ma-iaapply ang mga koneksyon ng pamilya namin sa pagtatrabaho ko in the future.

I heaved another sigh and laid on my bed after I removed my ponytail.
I stared at the star-filled ceiling of my bedroom and let myself drown in my thoughts.

Maybe, I just need to be more determined now? Or maybe, I need to be more goal-oriented to finish what I have started.

Yeah.

Baka nga, iyon ang kulang sa akin.

Determinasyon.

---

Morning came and I saw Mom and Dad discussing about something while they prepared their luggage at our living room.

"Oh, good. You're awake." Dad said when he saw me.

Kuya Benson was sitting on the couch and listening to the music on his earphones.

"Good morning, Dad." I said and tiptoed to kiss him on the cheek. I did the same to Mom. "Mom."

"You go and have breakfast. We will be leaving for two weeks. I am entrusting the house to you, Brittany." He said and pointed to Kuya at the couch. "And, you, young man." Kuya Benson lifted his eyes to meet his. "Quit going out of the house while we are away. Look after your sister. Look after each other." He nodded at Dad's instructions. "I love you, both."

Mom smiled at me and at us and I couldn't help feeling that something is off with her expressions.

She usually is loud whenever they are leaving for business trips. But today is a big surprise.

"Bye, Hon. Love you." Mom said and hugged me. She even went to Kuya and hugged him tightly.

I swear. I never feel so strange with their looks.

 I never feel so strange with their looks