Twenty Four

One month before the business party...

"This has been the current ranking of our company in the retail industry." I said to the Board of Trustees.

I am currently presenting to them our status and so far, I am indeed proud to say that we are one of the topnotchers this quarter.

"As of the moment, our biggest asset here are the endorsements of the celebrities on our latest sneakers and leather shoes package. Next in line is the jetsetter's must haves otherwise known as the traveller's package which consists of coat, shades and footwear of their preference." I said smiling at them.

It still feels surreal knowing that they approve of my idea of making packages like these for the active youth and adults.

I just thought of these when I observed how the youngsters constantly post on Instagram their OOTDs for a certain trip to somewhere so I got the idea of making one for us. I tried it on me and voila! It has become one of our bestsellers.

I have never even thought that it will trend in Twitter and other social media sites. But, well, God has been good to me. Blessing me with a lot of things.

"That's such a great thing to know! No doubt you are your parents' daughter. You inherited their creativity and competitiveness!" Mr. Arturo Romualdez, one of the BOTs, commented on his seat. I bowed politely and I saw their approving smiles.

"Your parents should have seen this. God, I miss hanging out with your dad!" That was Mr. Stuart Arevalo. He was dad's best buddy and I have seen him every time he drops by our house when me and Kuya Benson were kids.

"To conclude our meeting, I would like to commend you, Brittany, for successfully handling and managing the family company. If ever you need some help, I am only a call away." Mr. Henry Toribio said giving me an encouraging and fatherly smile.

"Oh, by the way, are you guys coming to the masquerade business party next month?" Mr. Romualdez asked as the early dinner was served by Miss Valeen.

We ordered some steak and bought ice cream cups for everyone.

Yes. That is how cool they are. They prefer ice cream for desserts than wine.

It just feels comfortable spending time with them.

"Of course, I heard The Hilbert's Hotelier heir will be there!" Mr. Toribio exclaimed and wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

I giggled and sliced the steak as I ate with them. I gestured Miss Valeen to eat with us and she agreed. She sat beside me at the head of the table here in the conference room.

"Yes! Also, the second daughter of the Belarminos will be there. I heard there will be a series of marriages lined up for next year. Who knows, baka doon na nila i-announce ang who's who." Mr. Romualdez seconded his remark and chewed on his food after.

"Marriages? You mean, arranged marriage?" I couldn't help asking and the men bobbed their head in agreement. "Uso pa po pala yun sa panahon ngayon?"

"Yes, daughter." Mr. Toribio sighed. "Sadly, those kind of practice still exists today. Takot mabankrupt kaya ganoon na lang ang pagdidikta ng karamihang business owners sa mga anak nila."

For a moment, I felt sympathy for them. To be trapped in a loveless marriage is the same as looking for misery.

I shivered at the thought.

"How about you, Sir? Do you do that with your children?" I know I wasn't in my right mind when I asked them but my curiosity got the best of me.

All of them shook their heads.

"No. I respect my daughter's decisions. Its her life. I don't have to meddle with it just so I can stabilize my company." Mr. Romualdez answered. He dipped on the ice cream and brought it to his mouth.

"Same here. I love my sons too much to interfere with their life." Mr. Arevalo who was quiet all along commented.

"That's so nice to know, Sirs. Your children must be so proud of you." I said smiling gratefully at them.

"Oh, ikaw. Umattend ka sa party ha. It's about time to get acquainted in the corporate world. I'll get my son to accompany you if you don't have a date yet." Mr. Toribio winked jokingly at me.

"Tingnan mo to! Akala ko ba hindi ka makikialam sa lovelife ng anak mo!" Mr. Arevalo exclaimed and we chortled.

"Joke lang naman! Grabe kayo!" Mr. Toribio rebutted but laughed nonetheless.

"I'll think about it, Sir Toribio. Baka kailanganin ko ng kasama din kasi hindi ako familiar sa event na yun." I said and he grinned even wider.

"Atta girl!" He said and soon, the meeting ended.

"Uwi na tayo, Miss Val." I said stretching my arms. "Bukas mo na to ligpit."

"Hindi pwede, Brit. Baka mawala ang laptop." She chuckled and stood up.

"Tulungan na kita para makauwi na tayo." I said and stood up too.

"Hindi.. Ako na diyan! Ikaw, bata ka! Naku, umuwi ka na! May klase ka pa bukas, hindi ba?" She pressed and slapped my hand away from the empty food trays.

"Sa hapon pa klase ko. Ayusin na natin para makahiga na sa kama." I insisted and soon, we found ourselves, inside my car and we were on our way home.

" I insisted and soon, we found ourselves, inside my car and we were on our way home