Eleven

It has been five days since I returned here in the Philippines.

It has been five days since I returned home.

It has been five days since my parents' interment at the States and now me and Kuya Benson are here at the comforts of our home.

Kuya Benson decided to fix his papers as soon as the semester ends which is also the end of my high school days.

"Brit!" "Sis!" "Sissy!" Those were Crystal's, Aly's and Deirdre's voices as soon as I stepped at our classroom.

Automatically, all eyes turned on me. Most with empathetic expressions and polite smiles.

The girls hugged me all at once and I couldn't help but hug them back.

"We have missed you a whole lot!" Aly exclaimed and pulled me to our seats. Deirdre and Crystal followed us, as well.

As soon as we sat down, they haven't had the chance to ask me and tell me things because our class adviser, Ma'am Jeanette came in and  looked at me sympathetically.

"My deepest condolences for your loss, Brittany." She said and I said my gratitude. She looked at the class and gave us a few reminders for our graduation practices next week.

Again, I was snapped back to reality.

Indeed, life must go on.

Practices for graduation came and I was almost ready for college.

Eventually, my life slowly came back to normal. Each day became routinary that having to survive became the most natural thing to do.

Graduation Day came and I am happy that I was able to enjoy life while studying during those times my parents were still alive.

Yes, for awhile back there, I felt being caged with their high standards and expectations. But now, I have realized that they only want the best for me and Kuya Benson.

Indeed, our parents know the best for us.

We may have had a rough patch before but I am thankful that despite that they were open about our opinions although not that much.

Kuya Benson was there when I received my diploma and I am more than grateful to have him beside me.

He's the only family I got.

Summer vacation came and also the time that Kuya Benson began packing his clothes as he will be living in the United States at the family mansion where Grandlolo is.

It slowly sank to me that I will be alone soon. That everything is starting to change.

"Kuya, kailangan mo ba talagang umalis?" I asked and stopped folding one of his pants.

He sighed and sat down on the edge of his bed, his luggage open as we began stuffing it up. His flight is scheduled the day after tomorrow and we are checking if he has everything he needs.

"Napag-usapan na natin eto, sis,  hindi ba? Ayokong maipit ka sa sitwasyong hindi mo gusto." He explained and held my hand. I can feel the tears rolling down my cheeks again. He wiped them and hugged me. "Hey, don't start. We are in this together, sis. Please, just trust me."

He pulled back from the embrace and looked at me once again before saying, "someone will be there to look after you while I am away. Babalik din si Kuya, soon. Just let me do this. For us."

I nodded and sniffed. "I just can't believe that we will be separated for a long time. This is the first time in years. "

"I know. It's for the better." He pressed and I could only nod just to not burden him anymore. "May Facebook and Skype pa naman, sis. We will be constantly communicating even if I am away."

"Fine. Save your Sunday schedule for me." I said sounding like a clingy sister which he chuckled lightly.

He patted my hair and I frowned at him. "Yes, Ma'am!"

"Ayusin na nga natin to, baka may makalimutan ka pa dito." I exclaimed trying to keep things light.

The day ended with us bantering over the remote as I insisted watching horror movies on Netflix and him on Sports channel. In the end, he let me win.

We also took turns cooking for each other like we always do when our parents are out. But this time, it's what we must do because we have to.

Hours flew by so fast and I couldn't help feeling so sad and pitiful. I never felt like this again since our parents died.

But now that Kuya will be a thousand miles away, even if social media is there, I know I am still on my own. And, I have to deal with it.
Grow up and be mature.

The day of his flight came and we were about to leave the house and grab the taxi to the airport when a familiar car stopped by our gate.

I frowned when I realized who it was.

"Hello and welcome back, Britney Spears." His familiar grin is back.

It's no other than Damon.