Twenty Seven

3rd Person's POV

Brittany and her friends were talking about their upcoming midterm exams in their new go-to place when Cotton arrived.

Yes, he and his twin were done endorsing their footwear line called S Footgears and was successful. And both looked dashing, as usual.

"Psst, marecakes!" Jewel hissed at her and made a sideways glance at Joana who seemed to be staring forlornly at the owner of the coffee shop. "Mukhang may something!"

Brittany chuckled and nudged her softly, "tigilan mo yan! Nag-Mamarichu ka na naman! Let her be. Mag-oopen na lang yan sa atin when she's ready."

She sipped on her macchiato and played with her cellphone. Tristan, who was beside her on the couch, closed his eyes to take a nap.

Alvin strutted towards them as he bought their favorite comfort food, two huge slices of tiramisu, for sharing.

"Oh, hayan! Para hindi tayo antukin! Marami-rami pa ang rereviewhin natin!" He exclaimed and the friends fished out the forks. Tristan who was dozing off sat straight when he heard them chewing on some cakes.

"Hoy! Bakit hindi nyo ako ginigising!" He complained and sliced a huge portion of it and brought it to his mouth.

"Anduga mo, hoy!" Jewel protested and Alvin hushed her, "ako na bahala sa yo. I gotchu, babe."

It was Tristan's turn to nudge her on her side and they both smirked, knowingly.

Suddenly, a waiter approached them with a whole ube cake on her hands. She smiled and asked, "this is for Miss Joana. It's on the house." With that, she left the group with gaping mouths.

"Okay! What was that!" Jewel squealed and gushed at Joana who quietly checked on the ube cake which gave her many memories.

"For you, my sweet Ubebe." Alvin read and let out a chuckle. "Naol sweet!"

"Naol Ubebe!" Jewel added and the two high-fived each other and me and Tristan shook our heads.

"He's my ex." Joana blurt out which earned another shocked expressions from the group. "We go way back. We grew apart. It actually came out as a shock to me to see him again. I never thought that he actually owns this place. This used to be our dream. To have our own coffee shop.  I can't believe he made it happen."

The group were silent when she talked. It was obvious that she hasn't gotten over him.

Brittany felt sorry for her friend. She prayed for her heart's recovery. She also prayed for Cotton and Joana's happiness.

Jewel's heart went out for Joana. She wished that she could find it in her heart to give Alvin her honesty and trust. She still has doubts with his identity. She can't give in to him fully.

Alvin reflected on Joana's heartache. He contemplated his own identity. His gaze traveled to the woman beside her. Jewel. Her face shone with unshed tears for their friend. Her sincerity showed and his heart began beating nonstop seeing her. He wished he could figure this feeling soon. So he can be truly happy.

Tristan looked at Brittany who happened to be gazing blankly into space. He wondered what was she thinking.

He struggled telling her what he found out about her boyfriend. Has she seen it? How was she taking it? He wanted to comfort her but how?

He has been dying to tell her how he really feels about her but he respects her relationship. He couldn't bear seeing her so lost and helpless. What more, he couldn't bear watching her suffer.

Brittany has been through a lot. Her parents died. Her older brother left her for US to keep their family's companies intact. And then, this. Her boyfriend betraying her with her bestfriend.

How can he help her without being privy and nosy?

"Hui! Tulala ka dyan?" Jewel snapped her fingers in front of Tristan and the latter blinked.
He didn't notice that Brittany was raising an eyebrow at her. "Nakakatulala na ba ang ganda ni Marecakes? Amin-amin din kasi!"

He just gave them a sly smile and yawned pretentiously to hide his awkwardness of being caught offguard.

"Matagal pa ba tayo? Inaantok na ako. Adjourn na this!" He complained and rubbed his eyes.
He felt someone stopping him and met with Brittany's hazel eyes.

"Sabi ng tigilan kakakusot ng mata. Bad yan eh!" She warned him and he smiled sheepishly. He gave her a peace sign and yawned again.

"Sorna, madam bebe." He said and he noticed that they have fixed their things. "Lah? Sure na? Uwian na?"

"Ikaw lang naman ang lutang sa atin dito!" Brittany teased chortling as she grabbed her shoulder bag.

Tristan draped his arm over her shoulder and she slapped his arm playfully.

"Ano? Sino lutang, ha?" Tristan asked and began tickling her and she erupted into fit of giggles.

"Stan! Badtrip to! Hahaha!" Brittany squealed in protest and shied away from him. He stopped tickling her and she caught her breath. He took the opportunity to grab her bag and carry it for her. "Hoy, ako na dyan!" He was deaf to her protest and he grinned leading the way out of the coffee shop.

"Hey, Brittany." Cotton waved a hand at her and she smiled walking briskly to where her friends are.
"So sad. Her boyfriend is betraying her in this coffee shop of mine." He sighed.

He didn't notice Joana was inside the restroom and just got out.

"What? Ano yung sinabi mo? Si Damon?" Joana, the love of his life, asked him. She's still the same woman he fell in love with. Thoughtful and caring.

"Yes. That Damon." He nodded.

"Isn't it about time you ban him and her bestfriend in your coffee shop?", she asked raising an eyebrow at him.

And then, he was at her command.
"Yes, madame. Will do." He turned to his employees. "You heard the boss. Ban Damon Rodriguez and Alyanna Echavez in our coffee shop. From this day until eternity. Else, you all will be fired."