Thirty Three

"Three people dead while seven others were injured at the fire that broke out at eight in the evening yesterday here at one of the shoe textile factories in the country, the Fire Bureau said. Having informed that the incident started at six, the fire alarm has reached level four indicating the extent of damage to textiles and other materials needed to make a footwear." Reporter Alana Zamora said. She was on the site and the effect of the fire was clearly seen in the background.

I was busy reading the minutes of the last meeting when I heard the news. My eyes went to the television screen and watched the firemen attempting to put out the fire.

The fire was indeed humongous as it devoured one side of the factory. I scanned the screen and gasped when I realized that it is one of our rival's property.

Who would do such a thing? These people need jobs to survive!

"Here's what the owner of the factory, Amante Mauricio, has to say ..." Alana said and a clip showing the interview with Amante played.

"Hindi naman ho namin inaasahan na magkakaganito. Tahimik lang kaming nagtatrabaho dito tapos ganito pa gagawin sa amin." Amante said with a quivering voice.

"Sisiguraduhin kong magbabayad ang may kagagawan nito." Ruel Magat, the COO of Stomp Footwear, said with conviction on a Zoom interview.

I shook my head in disappointment at the news and turned off the television. I massaged my forehead that creased along with the news.

"I guess you heard the news." Miss Valeen entered the room and I gave her a tight smile. "You didn't even hear me knock twice on your door. We can do it, Brit. We will fight. I know we can make it."

I frowned even more with her words. "We? Fight? Huh? Ano yun, Ate Val? Saan nanggaling ang fight na salita?"

"Akala ko nalaman mo na?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at me with confusion. "They are accusing us about the fire!"

My eyes widened in horror, disappointment and rage.
"P-pero, that's absurd! How dare they point fingers when none of us stepped our feet inside their areas!" I exclaimed and couldn't help but slammed my hand on the table, causing Ate Valeen to be startled.
I grabbed again the remote and turned it on.

"Sigurado akong isa sa mga empleyado ng kalaban ang nandito. Nakasuot pa nga ito ng uniporme nila. Yung S Footgears ba yun?" One of the workers who was injured from the accident said in dismay while he was being treated for first aid by a medical personnel at the ambulance.

I gaped at him. That is impossible!

"Madilim! Eh kung nakatira malapit sa factory nila ang isa sa mga empleyado natin, malamang dadaan talaga sila sa area nila diyan! Nagpapatawa ba to?" I sneered, my nose flaring up.

Ate Valeen sighed and held my arms,  "calm down, Brit. I will call our legal team adviser to talk it out this afternoon. Just don't think about it too much. I'll send something for you to eat."

I did not say a single word when she left. Clearly, someone is intentionally blaming us for our reputation to be ruined.

"Brit! Sissy!" That was Jewel's voice when I picked up the phone. "Are you alright? I heard the news! Nagwoworry ako sayo!"

"I-I'm fine, Jew. Nabigla ako sa balita.  I will be meeting our Legal Team later to address this issue. Thanks for your concern." I said over the speaker.

"If you ever need someone to talk to, call us up lang ha!" Jewel sighed. "Lakas makapagbintang ng mga tao ngayon kahit wala naman silang pruweba! Ka-imbiyerna ha!"

"I need to go, Jew. Thanks for calling." I said and she agreed. She gave me another dose of reassuring words before we both hang up.

I closed my eyes trying to relax my nerves.

Hindi na dapat ako nabibigla. This is the reality of life.

The business world.

I should have expected that things will not always go my way.

Business is competition and one way or another, someone will resolve to dirty means and tactics just to step up to their game.

I exhaled.

I'll get through all this.

Ako pa ba?

I can do this, right?

Come on, self.

Be confident.

I will win this game, right?