Four

"What's with that look, B?" He said as soon as I sat down on our counter stool. I rested my chin on the back of my palm on top of the counter table. "Why the sad face? Wag kang magpangalumbaba. Bawal yan. Masama yan."

I rolled my eyes at him and I bent my head on the table. I let out a frustrated shriek which startled him.

"Whoa! What was that!" He jumped back shaking his head. He pulled out something from the pantry which creased my forehead. He laid out a bag of my favorite Pic-A Barbecue flavor and poured it into a bowl. He also pulled out a drink in can for himself, probably, and a pineapple juice for me.

"Hoy! Bawal yan! Bakit hindi ko alam na may pagkain ka dyan?" I exclaimed and dig in. I closed my eyes to savor the crispiness of the snack.

"Bawal pero papikit-pikit pa. Wag ako, B!" He teased and chuckled. "So, ano nga? Ano problema?"

I heaved a sigh and began to open up. "I failed in Math class earlier. We had a pop quiz. I wasn't able to study yesterday because of my cramps."

"Dahil lang doon, nalulugmok ka na?" He asked with wide eyes. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What are you trying to say? I have never failed a test before! I have low scores in the subjects but they are passing grades. Never like this." I pressed and he shook his head again.

"Sana all!" He laughed and got another chips, chewed it and talked after, "one failed test doesn't define your personality. We all have our ups and downs. It just so happened that yours are in the form of physical ones. Some have it rough."

His words sank deep into my heart and I stared at him. He grinned at me toothily and said, "Well?"

"For someone who looks like who doesn't care about the world, you actually have some sense there." I said as I bit on the chip and sipped on my pineapple drink.

"Hooy! Grabe naman yon!" He cackled and interjected, "what's wrong with not caring about the world? You cannot please everybody, B. You just have to live your life to the fullest and take every chance that you've got!"

"Ako na magluluto, mamaya." I said, changing the topic.

"Alright, babe. Will be home right after class." He winked at me and I threw a couple of chips at him when he stood up. He laughed and hurried to the door. "Wag mo ko masyadong mamiss ha! Be back later!" He yelled and closed the door behind him leaving me alone in the house.

It has been three days since he began staying in our house.

Three days since Mom and Dad leave the house to Kuya and me for a business trip.

Three days since I have become comfortable with Damon around.

After much thinking, I decided to make sinigang na buto-buto tonight.

Both Kuya Benson and Damon's classes ends at six in the evening tonight. I still have more than three hours to prepare so I decided to take a nap before I do my household chores.

We were dismissed at 12pm earlier due to faculty meeting and was so eager to come home to because of my frustration in class.

Crystal dropped me off here too so there was no hassle walking and commuting my way home.

I still have this weekend to go to my safe place so I devoted my time to catching up on school works and submitting applications for college in Saint Juan College and Saint Andrew University just in case I won't be able to pass Stradborgh University's entrance exams.

I glanced at the wall clock and saw that it's past two in the afternoon already. Damon's class starts at three so I know he isn't late after we got engrossed bickering awhile ago.

"Really, Brit? Kabisado mo na agad ang schedule ni Damon?" I asked myself in disbelief.

I checked if the gate and doors are locked before I went upstairs to my room. I also set the alarm of my phone to four in the afternoon to wake myself up and do my projects.

Yawning, I snuggled under the blanket and surrendered to a forty-five minute nap.

Shortly, I woke up to the aircon's cool temperature so I shut it off and stretched my arms as I sat on my bed. Wasting no more time, I went downstairs and pulled out the things I will be needing for our dinner tonight.

My laptop was already set and charged by the time I was preparing the food. I started working on our projects in English and Araling Panlipunan.

It was thirty minutes past six and I was done with the book report and term paper for A.P. when I heard Damon's car park outside our gate.

Both him and Kuya Benson's faces were filled with bruises and wounds. I crossed my arms over my chest and began scolding them.

"What are you, guys, up to?" I sighed and started handing ice cubes for them.

"Hello, Sis." Kuya Benson rolled his eyes and sat wearily on the couch. Damon did the same and groaned in pain. "Luto na ba ang hapunan? I'm starving."

"Opo, Señorito." I said sarcastically. "Kumain na kayo. I will be joining you guys in a few."

I was about to head to the bathroom beside the guest room when somebody held my wrist.

"Sabayan mo na kaming kumain, B." Damon said meeting my gaze. For a moment, I was stunned. His eyes are forlorn and begging. I found myself nodding and joining them over dinner.

Kuya Benson excused himself after and told us that he will be sleeping early tonight due to exhaustion.

It was Damon who insisted to clear and wash the dishes even if I told him not to.

"What happened, Damon? Bakit bugbog-sarado kayo ni Kuya?" I asked in curiosity when he finished the plates.

"Someone attacked us on our way home." He began.

"What?" I exclaimed.